PTO Leaf Vac?

/ PTO Leaf Vac? #31  
Thanks for the update and assessment. I have the same ditch setup, so I'll continue to use my hand and wheeled blower for another season.

I do hope you will post after you have tried the different hose configuration. I'd still like to be able to drive along the road and magically suck the leaves out the ditch.

/ PTO Leaf Vac? #32  
Best way I have found to unload my trac-vac is with wide prong 4 prong fork,heat and bend each tine to 90 degree angle,if it doesn't have a long handle install one.Get 2 spring loaded clips at your local hardware store and attach to top of vac,these will hold your new unloading tool.

/ PTO Leaf Vac? #33  
For those who were interested, or who may come across this thread, I'll post "the rest of the story."

I ended up buying the Trac Vac PTO unit with the "remote pickup" - a 12 ft. length of 6" hose with a handle that connects to the main 8" hose. I took delivery in the early winter and finally had a chance to give it a couple of fair trials the past couple of weeks.

Conclusions:

5. I've found the unloading issue to be real. Unless you can face the trailer up hill, it doesn't raise far enough to dump well. I've not yet worked out a solution to that.
Terry
Tip trailer back. Drive forward with a jerk.
larry

/ PTO Leaf Vac?
Tip trailer back. Drive forward with a jerk.
larry
Yes, the "cling & jerk" approach helps, thanks. I find it also helps to rock the body up and down several times when I tip it back to get things started. Using the vac without a mower probably doesn't help as the leaves are not as finely ground (depending on how dry they are), and they don't get jiggled down as you drive around, so they aren't as well packed. As a result they spread out over two or three trailer lengths as I dump them, but I can fix that with my FEL. :)

Just got the added length of 6" hose and replaced the 8" section. Huge improvement! The 8" hose is much stiffer, not only because it's bigger but because it's of a stiffer construction. Worse, the steel 8" to 6" reducer likes to think of itself as a plow as you try to drag the hose around, catching on rocks or just digging into the gravel road. I moved it to mount directly on the fan housing, so the hose is now much easier to drag around. Having the quick-connect there makes it easy to remove the hose totally from the fan for storage.

I'd have preferred to have a single 20 to 24-ft section to avoid the possible clogging at the splice. But the manufacturer couldn't supply anything but the pre-cut lengths, so I got a second 12' section and a splice kit. I didn't have any luck finding it on the web, in part because there is no labeling on it so I don't know what it's actually called. Clearly some types of this hose are stiffer than others, and I wasn't anxious to end up with something too hard to use at the fairly substantial prices they want for this stuff.

I suppose using 6" all the way cuts down on air flow some, but I can't really tell the difference. This thing has a lot of suction. I've been trying to keep the twigs out of it, but I find that any that don't hang on the outside of the pickup tube seem to make it all the way for the most part.

One learning that's helping the on-and-off the tractor issue... I find that the wind fails to blow all the leaves into the ditch, so I need to go down the driveway with the backpack leaf blower to blow them in before I vac the ditch. If the leaves aren't too deep, I find it's easy to bunch them up with the backpack so there are fewer stops with the tractor and vac.

All in all, I rate the project a success - I find it takes much less time and gas, and it's much less frustrating, to use the vac then to try to blow the leaves up the 8 to 10-ft bank, which is thick with small trees and brush. Also, I don't need perfect wind conditions to be successful. And that big pile of leaves looks like good compost potential for next year.

Last edited:
   / PTO Leaf Vac?
An update for anyone who happens on this old thread...

The piles of semi-shredded leaves make a great soil additive after 2 years in our climate - no doubt the time varies with the climate.

The use of two sections of pickup hose with a connector isn't the greatest. Using direct pickup, without a mower deck, puts lots of twigs in the pile and they tend to catch at the connector and cause clogs in the hose. Most can be cleared by pulling the hose straight and flipping it a bit, but sometimes they are more stubborn. I replaced the hose with a single 25' section of transparent hose, and that works much better. Not only does it eliminate a clog point at the mid-hose connector but when a clog does occur where the hose connects to the blower you can see it and know right were to attack it.

The unit has performed well over three, going on four, seasons. The only issues have been minor. A v-belt failed after three years, and was easily replaced at an auto parts store. One tire on the trailer went flat after two years. The tire shop found fussing with those little wheels a pain, but did it.

Covering the trailer with a tarp proved hard on the paint, as has been discussed here with regard to tractors in several threads. The dollies I described in another thread helped make storage of attachments in my equipment shed more efficient so I was able to move the trailer inside, which is obviously better.

In summary, a good purchase in my view.:thumbsup:

Terry

/ PTO Leaf Vac? #36  
Lawn Vacuum 002.jpg

Had the trailer model... Didn't like the way it moved around obstructions. I only use a vacuum in fall for the pine needles that blanket the lawn. I built this PTO version which works great and costs only 150.00 for parts. Why someone would spend thousands for the same result baffles me. A larger storage container would probably be the only improvement but it cuts the needles so fine they pack quite well. The containers are heavy but easily managed to dump in a trailer or waste area. A fun project with great results, well worth the time.

/ PTO Leaf Vac? #37  
View attachment 284566

Had the trailer model... Didn't like the way it moved around obstructions. I only use a vacuum in fall for the pine needles that blanket the lawn. I built this PTO version which works great and costs only 150.00 for parts. Why someone would spend thousands for the same result baffles me. A larger storage container would probably be the only improvement but it cuts the needles so fine they pack quite well. The containers are heavy but easily managed to dump in a trailer or waste area. A fun project with great results, well worth the time.
Good job! $150 in parts says you were extremely lucky.
larry

/ PTO Leaf Vac?
Why someone would spend thousands for the same result baffles me.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess. It baffles me that anyone would spend hours collecting parts then building such a thing when they could buy one ready-made and spend that time on something enjoyable. :)

A fun project with great results, well worth the time.
That would be the difference. While you thought it was fun and worthwhile, I'd think it was neither.

BTW, I just spent 3 hours vacuuming the leaves from the ditch along my driveway, and filled the Trac-Vac cart once completely and about 3/4 the second time. Sure glad I wasn't using anything smaller.

Terry