PTO Log Splitter

/ PTO Log Splitter #11  
I only watched the video now. How do you advance that cylinder so quickly to contact the work piece? You arn't using regeneration plumbing on the cylinder/valve by any chance are you?

Actually, I just clued in. PTO as opposed to 3PH/remotes. I saw your reservoir and was wondering why, but now it all makes sense.

/ PTO Log Splitter #12  
I only watched the video now. How do you advance that cylinder so quickly to contact the work piece? You arn't using regeneration plumbing on the cylinder/valve by any chance are you?

Actually, I just clued in. PTO as opposed to 3PH/remotes. I saw your reservoir and was wondering why, but now it all makes sense.

Yes he is using the prince 3060-3 valve, which is a regen valve. Only supposed to give it 4gpm input though, not the 11 he is. Which is why I am thinking things sound wonky

/ PTO Log Splitter #13  
That sound you hear is the relief valve going off.

A relief valve is usually set with about 10 GPM's, and in regen, he is generating about 4 times 11 = 44 GPM through the valve and the relief is trying to keep up, but can't.

If you want to save that valve, I would recommend you run the tractor rpm very low to let the valve use a 4 to 5 GPM input like it is supposed to.

or

Connect the log splitter to your tractor hyd and run the engine at about half engine rpm.

/ PTO Log Splitter #14  
Me too. Can't stand some pissy-asss little engine screaming away! Gives me a head ache.

But PTO splitters are always so slow! My solution, and it's coming together, is to build a splitter that runs off my loader hydraulics but is controlled electrically. It will completely cycle forward and back so you don't have to stand there like a union worker watching the wood split. You can pick up or pile wood while the splitter is doing it's thing albeit maybe somewhat more slowly then an engine driven unit.

Where did you come to believe that PTO splitters are slow?? That's so incorrect. I built a PTO splitter using a 22 gpm PTO pump and 6"x24" cylinder. It would complete a cycle in 14 seconds. Don't get your hand in the way.

/ PTO Log Splitter #15  
My pto splitter had a 5" cylinder and has a "10 second" complete cycle time, NOT slow at all and you can't see it slow down any, as it pushes EVERYTHING through the 4-way wedge!

As for the 4-way wedge, it can be flipped to make big splits OR small splits!

I wouldn't want to be without my table either! It really makes splitting BIG rounds MUCH easier!

SR

/ PTO Log Splitter #16  
Me too. Can't stand some pissy-asss little engine screaming away! Gives me a head ache.

But PTO splitters are always so slow! My solution, and it's coming together, is to build a splitter that runs off my loader hydraulics but is controlled electrically. It will completely cycle forward and back so you don't have to stand there like a union worker watching the wood split. You can pick up or pile wood while the splitter is doing it's thing albeit maybe somewhat more slowly then an engine driven unit.

I'm trying to figure out how running a splitter off the loader is going to be any faster than the remotes??? Both are only as fast as the hydraulic pump on the tractor.

Also, all you need is the right valve and any splitter will complete the split while you are away from it, I could have that on mine, but I'm happy with it just having auto return...

SR

/ PTO Log Splitter #17  
No, like I said, I misunderstood to think 3PH mounted running off the remotes. Naturally, you can make a high performance PTO splitter. It's the remote operated ones that remind me of watching paint dry.

/ PTO Log Splitter #18  
No, like I said, I misunderstood to think 3PH mounted running off the remotes. Naturally, you can make a high performance PTO splitter. It's the remote operated ones that remind me of watching paint dry.

Yes, I have one of those too, it runs off the remotes and it slooooooow.... BUT, how will running it off the loader make it any faster??? That's what I'm trying to figure out...

SR

/ PTO Log Splitter #19  
I never said it would be any faster. As far as my project goes, I am simply going to save time by not having to stand there and watch the paint dry, so to speak. I can be doing something else like getting new rounds or stacking wood. It's not the speed of the remote operated splitter that is the problem, (as I see it) it's that usually you have no choice but to stand there operating it.

/ PTO Log Splitter #20  
I never said it would be any faster. As far as my project goes, I am simply going to save time by not having to stand there and watch the paint dry, so to speak. I can be doing something else like getting new rounds or stacking wood. It's not the speed of the remote operated splitter that is the problem, (as I see it) it's that usually you have no choice but to stand there operating it.

There is a reason you are supposed to be standing there operating it, it is called safety, as a union operating engineer we are trained in safe operation of equipment and what can happen if safety features are eliminated