PTO multi speed gear box

/ PTO multi speed gear box #1  

Gary Fowler

Super Star Member
Tractor
2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010
I was just wondering how many of the LS models have multi-speed PTO. My 7010 has 540, 750 and 1000 RPM. I think I can save lots of fuel by using the 750 RPM on my bush hog and throttling back to 72% of the rated 540 speed.

/ PTO multi speed gear box #2  
I looked into it and it seems only the large LS have the multi speed. All my tractors except the HST driven BX have 2 speed ptos. 3 would be nicer--I sure would like the multispeed PTO option on a good sized HST tractor. Thats what Im holding out for if I buy new.
larry

/ PTO multi speed gear box
That was nice to find on the LS when shopping. My old 84 model gray market Yanmar has 3 speed gear box although I never use the 1000 (I think that is for tillers which I dont have) I rarely use the 540 on the Yannie as I dont like to run the engine that fast. I have reved up the engine to max RPM with the bush hog behind it a few times when additional speed was required or prior to hitting a swampy area or dense foliage etc. and at least for short burst, the gear box has held together with no leaks. I doubt it would do a mower good to run it that fast for a long period of time though. It is nice to have the mower whirring behind you without the engine screaming that is for sure and I cant tell much difference if any in power requirements. It seems to pull just as well in 750 RMP at reduced throttle as at 540. I would have thought that the PTO power would have stalled the engine more readily but not so much that you would notice. Next time home, I hope to see if the PTO turns on the LS. I havent turned it on yet, but will hook up to that homebuilt 7 foot BH and mow some grass when I get home in June.

/ PTO multi speed gear box #4  
hi speed is good for pumps

/ PTO multi speed gear box #5  
I have an Off/On switch and a Independent/Manual switch for the PTO. I dont think there is another speed on my PTO unless I am missing something. :eek:

Well I suppose we have found something that can be improved with the smaller LS tractors. Many of Japanese brands have multi-speed PTO shafts. How can we suggest to LS that this needs to be incorporated in their future CUT designs?

/ PTO multi speed gear box #7  
On most high end tractors they have 540/1000 and 540Economy/1000Economy which gives you the same PTO RPM's for lower engine RPM's. In the class that LS is running having an economy PTO is not common. You want to be careful running implements faster than their intended speed. It could fling something at you, damage the implement or damage your tractor. The higher RPM PTO settings give more of a torque advantage to your implement which could damage your PTO if say you were running a tiller or brush hog and hit a rock.

Also, I believe the LS P series has a ground speed PTO which is rarer yet. Those are good for the apron/beater style manure spreaders, fertilizer/lime spreaders or even a ground driven trailer that I've heard of being in Europe. I'd like to make one out of an old truck. Just make a wood hauler and keep the drive train and run it to a belt or chain up to a PTO shaft. The only difficulty would be the timing between the trailer and the tractor. I think you could mess with that by changing the pulley/gear sizes. Anyway, a project for down the road. I've only seen that option on some Italian build SAME/Deutz tractors.

That is for sure, you dont want to hook a 540 RPM piece of equipment to the 1000 RPM shaft. Most larger tractors that have 540/1000 are two separate shafts with different spline configuration to prevent you from inadvertently hooking them up. If you hooked to the 1000 RPM with a 540 equipment, you would need to turn the motor to fast to produce the required HP and would likely damage the equipment. However by reducing the RPM and using the 750 gear, you can safely turn your equipment at 540 and not have your engine running at full power. I do this all the time with my Yanmar which also has the 3 speed box. Most diesels have a broad enough power band that you can reduce the throttle to 70% of the rated 540 RPM and still have plenty of power and at that rate, it turns the PTO as 540 as per spec but saves a lot of fuel when you are clipping pastures. For heavy cutting action, I switch back to 540 and rev it up to get the really heavy brush and slough grass.