PTO overrun clutch won't fit?

/ PTO overrun clutch won't fit? #1  

8NLUGNUT

Silver Member
Tractor
Several Fords, four Japanese tractors
I bought a 1 3/8 to 1 3/8 PTO over run clutch for the Hinomoto Sunday evening and tried to put it on.

It was dark and I was probably suffering from heat stroke but I could not get the holes to line up.

So my question is are there clutches that are of a different depth so the hole line up?

Do I have to buy an extender first then install the clutch?

Do I have to install a PTO shaft with a longer spline end or one with the holes in a different location.

We've had the E232 for over a year and it is just about perfect for small jobs but it's needs the clutch.

/ PTO overrun clutch won't fit? #2  
I assume you mean that you cannot get the hole in the inner portion to align with the hole in the shaft? how far off is it?

Check the ID of the splined coupler to make sure no trash from the machineing was left in there.. IE.. when the splines were cut.. etc.

Also check your pto shaft for a mushroomed end.. or burs.. might be something a lil flat fileinge on either side or both can help .. if it is 'almost' fitting right now..

post back.

soundguy

/ PTO overrun clutch won't fit?
Hey Soundguy,

I did clean out the pto shaft hole but I didn't think to inspect the clutch.

I'll check that today.

I didn't think to do any measurements the other night so when I go back out to the ranch I'll get the depth and go from there.

Thank for the quick response and I'll give you an update this week.

/ PTO overrun clutch won't fit? #4  
The depth should be correct.. the only issue is that the pto shaft may not be fully seating into the coupler ID splined area due to a bur or manufacturing defect.. etc.

soundguy

I working my list down today enough that I think I can sneak back out to the ranch to check the PTO shaft for burrs and take a good accurate measurement.

I may have been confused to the type I bought. This one has a pin I need to install?

I'm guessing I remove the grease fittings and put it in. The only type I've seen put on clicks in place?

Attachments

• DSCN2032.JPG
    DSCN2032.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 796
   / PTO overrun clutch won't fit? #6  
I have one like yours with a pin that is installed.

As long as the pin is not in place it should slide on. The grease fittings don't extend inside. The grease fitting should not extend past the outer ring or they will hold up the overrun clutch from freewheeling.

My tractor was painted just before I purchased it. During the painting the PTO shaft was also painted so the first time I installed an implement it was difficult to slide on the coupling for the PTO shaft. I had to sand off some of the excess paint, especially in the inner parts of the grooves on the shaft from the tractor.

It does help to take out the grease fittings to line up the pin holes in the clutch with the hole in the shaft. I don't see how you can do that in the dark.

/ PTO overrun clutch won't fit? #7  
Yes the grease zerks need to be removed, then the holes lined up and a roll pin driven in, but not too far. The reinstall the zerks, grease and go.

Here is an update.

I got the clutch in place and the roll pin almost install with my mojo hammer but I could only get it flush.

I didn't have a punch that fit so I'll have to wait till I go back out to finish.

Thanks for the help ya'll, it sure made me think.

Attachments

• DSCN2041.JPG
    DSCN2041.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 587
  • DSCN2040.JPG
    DSCN2040.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 513
   / PTO overrun clutch won't fit? #9  
Flush ain't good.. the pin MUST go into the center section of the ORC, and allow the outter section to rotate freely.. otherwise all you have done is just install a 65$ 6" bulky extension on your pto shaft.

soundguy

Yea I tried to tap it with a screwdriver but I didn't want to hit it too hard and dog up the Zerk threads when I can bring a punch out with me this weekend and do it right.

Now if I can just remember to take the right tools out and finish I can work a little safer in the future.