PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130
In comparing the 3 blowers here's the major differences...

B7800/L3130/Puma64

width: 60/62/64
fan diameter: 17.5/24/20
fan blades: 3/4/4
auger diameter: 14/15/16
cutting depth: 6.75"/6.25"/?
weight: 375/?/382

I don't really know what that all means. The L3130 blower has a much bigger impeller fan diameter (24") than the other two (17.5"/20") and the b7800 has one less fan blade then the other two.

Anyone have any idea what "cutting depth" means? It isn't operating lift height because the b7800 blower lists that as 7.25" (the other 2 blowers don't list operating height) nor is it the transport lift height. I can't really figure out what would be around 6"?

The Puma of course has the major disadvantage of being mounted on the wrong end of the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyhow, my whole point here is I have this basic premise in my head...

small engine + light/tractor = good for nothing

Small engine + big/heavy tractor = good for ground engaging implements

big engine + light/small tractor = good for powered implements

big engine + big/heavy tractor = can do it all if you have the room & $.

So if the above is true and my primary use for the tractor is snowblowing then I'd be better off with the B7800 with its superior power to weight ratio than a L3130 with its superior weight to power ratio because that'll give more power at the PTO where I need it.

I am also assuming that the specs Kubota lists as PTO hp is with the tractor sitting. It sure would be interesting to know how much HP is available at the PTO when the tractor is in motion!

Several have said their B7800/B2910/B3030 do a great job blowing snow and that's what really counts. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your experiences with your machine. So far I haven't heard from a L3130 owner with a front blower that says the same about their machine. I know a L3130 will run rings around a B series when pulling or lifting but HOW ABOUT BLOWING SNOW? And I mean serious snow ... 18 - 24" deep. Munising (where I'll be moving to) gets dumped on from lake effect snow starting in Nov and doesn't quit until April. By March there is typically 4 feet on the ground. On the plus side its a dry fluffy snow ... reminds me of people in Arizona saying "at least its a dry heat". /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are there any L3130 owners out there with snow blowing experience they'd be so kind as to share with me? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Thanks to all!!!

PS Ron L - I use a blade on a lawn tractor down here in SE Mich. Works fine for the little bit of snow we get here. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #22  
First of all, I want to say that you cannot compare a front snowblower with a rear one because this is simply a world of difference between the two.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The L3130 blower has a much bigger impeller fan diameter (24") than the other two (17.5"/20") and the b7800 has one less fan blade then the other two. )</font>

IMHO, a bigger impeller fan diameter moves more snow but requires more PTO HP. Same thing about fan blades.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Anyone have any idea what "cutting depth" means? It isn't operating lift height because the b7800 blower lists that as 7.25" (the other 2 blowers don't list operating height) nor is it the transport lift height. I can't really figure out what would be around 6"?
)</font>

Cutting depth: It's the depth of the upper plate. The one partially covering the auger on the top of the blower. I just measured the one on the Puma and it's 7.25". About transport and operating height, IMHO the question doesn't apply to the Puma (rear) because the transport height (and you can begin to blow even if it is fully lifted) is around 30 or 32". A front snowblower cannot lift more than 10" and as I understand it you can begin to blow at 7.5".

A rear snowblower is great for short distance (200') and it gives you the possiblity to keep the loader on either for more traction or for the possibility to use it. But, if you have a 1000' driveway... go for a front blower. I was not sure when I bought mine. First I asked my dealer for a front blower and finally got a rear one. I have hydraulic rotation and chute angle on mine... IMHO that's a must.

Either way (B7800 or L3130), you'll get a nice machine and I'm sure you won't be disappointed about it.

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #23  
I'll chime in hear simply because where I'm from. We probably get as much snow as anyone in the country and have a few opinions on moving the white stuff.

I have a 400' gravel drive and have cleared it several different ways:

1 - Riding mower with front blower - no where big enough.

2 - A B7500 with a rear blower - great at moving snow but ate rocks, sticks etc.. I sold it after one season. A front blower was twice the price.

3 - A B7500 with 6' rear blade - IMO it was the best for my drive. I could push, pile and clear snow with ease. Even a 30" snowfall wasn't much problem for that little tractor & blade.

I now have a L3430 and will still use the same 6' rear blade and loader. The only way I'd use a blower again is if I had a narrow, blacktop drive.
Again - this is only my opinion based on my experience.

Munising is right in between the cities of Marquette and Sault Saint Marie. Now I'm sure Buffalo gets a little snow now and then but it doesn't even make it in the top 10! Not only that but Munising is cold so all that snow that falls doesn't melt 'till June /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10 Snowiest Cities

1. Blue Canyon, CA
2. Marquette, MI
3. Sault Ste. Marie, MI
4. Syracuse, NY
5. Caribou, ME
6. Mount Shasta, CA
7. Lander, WY
8. Flagstaff, AZ
9. Sexton Summit, OR
10. Muskegon, MI

10 Coldest Cities

1. International Falls, MN
2. Duluth, MN
3. Caribou, ME
4. Marquette, MI
5. Sault Ste. Marie, MI
6. Fargo, ND
7. Williston, ND
8. Alamosa, CO
9. Bismarck, ND
10. St. Cloud, MN

There's a couple things I'm convinced of ...

I want HST
I want a front mount snowthrower
I want a heated cab (I'll make my own)

Now that last item is a little controversial. I'm considered a troll (anyone living south of the Mackinac bridge is considered a troll) but I'd like to fit in with my yooper neighbors when I move up there and one of my yooper friends sent me a picture of how REAL yoopers dress when they taking care of the snow (see attached pic)

If the custom up there is to blow snow while naked then fine I'll do it but I'm gonna be inside a heated cab! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Attachments

• 709263-Snow Blowing.jpg
    709263-Snow Blowing.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 164
   / PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #25  
Ray, I still don't think your original question has been answered about the weight of the tractor taking HP away from the PTO. If what I have been told is correct, At the manufacturers stated RPM your PTO will be delivering its stated horsepower reguardless of wight of tractor. So even while moving more mass, the 3130 should still have a higher PTO and be able to apply it better due to increased weight and I believe (don't own one and am too lazy to look it up) a bigger foot print. BTW, where in SE MI are you currentyl from?

I don't think that's physically possible. The power to move the tractor has to come from somewhere.

I'm assuming the HP that Kubota says is available at the PTO is measured when the tractor itself is at rest. That's the only way it makes any sense. It's going to take more HP from the engine to move the tractor up hill vs down hill and more HP to go faster than slower and more HP in high gear vs low. Too many variables come into play if they're measuring PTO HP in motion.

Now what I don't know is how big a deal I'm talking about. Could be the gearing is so low in a tractor that the amount of HP it takes to move it is very small. I have no idea! But look at it this way, don't you notice a difference when you're driving around on your tractor with a BH & FEL attached vs not having that extra weight on it? That's because the extra weight takes more HP to move it. Since the engine only has so much HP to give its got to take it at the expense of the PTO.

Seems like it'd be breaking some Einstein law if it didn't take more power to move more weight! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #27  
From what you've written here:

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When I need to blow out a 2 foot snowfall out of a 1100 foot long driveway with a 6% incline @ 20 below zero with 30mph winds I want a machine that's going to get the job done.

So, the bottom line is which is the better machine for snowblowing serious snow on a regular basis? )</font>

I'd say a L3430HSTC (4WD, Cab) with a front snowblower. If you like freezing winds "on a regular basis" then a L3130. But if you want to blow snow AND mow then a B7800. I have to admit though that a L3130 has nice features compared to a B7800... that's why I chose a B3030, but a B7800 is nice too. If I had choosen a B7800 last year instead of a BX23, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have changed for a new tractor this Spring.

The L3430HSTC would be a sweet setup but I'll make my own cab. I've got too many uses for 5K to spend it on a cab and I really enjoy doing that kind of thing. But you can rest assured whatever tractor I end up with it'll have a cab on it before winter hits!

Mowing is not in the cards for this tractor. What little grass I have will be mowed with a small lawn tractor/mower. The Kubota will be used for snow 95% and misc 5%. Actually more misc during the building years but will settle down to a long term snow machine in the end.

I kinda wish the L3400 had a mid pto. That'd be the perfect tractor for me. Not too big, not too small, good power. Just seems like there's a big diff between a B7800 & a L3130 size & weight wise. I think I'd like something smack in the middle of the two and be done with it!

/ PTO Power - b7800 vs l3130 #29  
Do you intend to move your tractor... I mean on a trailer?

No, I don't plan on moving the tractor. The only place it'd ever have to go is to the dealer (45 miles away) if there was a problem in which case I'd have him transport it. Since it's a Kubota I'm assuming that'd be a rare event.
<font color="red">
Been doing some more thinking (at 2:19AM) and suddenly realized there is another important componet to how much work a tractor will do for you ... speed/time!

More HP means less time/faster! I know ... duh why didn't he think of that before. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So I could simply compensate for the extra weight and extra power hungry big snowblower and relatively weak engine (for its class) L3130 by simply GOING SLOWER! I can't believe I didn't think of that before /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It's that way with any tractor. Or lawn mower for that matter. If you're asking it to do more than it can handle at a given rate then all you've got to do is slow down the feed rate.

So ... will a B7800 do the job? YES! It'll handle taking a 60" wide by 18" high cut at some rate of speed.

Will the L3130 do the job? YES! It'll handle taking a 60" wide by 24" high cut at some other rate of speed.

Will either machine seem underpowered? YES ... if you go to fast!!!

I can't believe I was so dense. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So the answer to the question of which tractor I should buy is ... I don't know. I need to go get some sleep but either tractor would work /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font>