PTO powered stump grinder build

/ PTO powered stump grinder build #42  
You're going to be able to pass that machine down for generations to come. A true work of art, again I say well done.

/ PTO powered stump grinder build
Whats the plan with this hinge, do you want to tilt the cutter head a bit to provide controlled depth of cut, without using the tractor gears ?

No I am going to use this with our HST tractor. The idea is the hinge allows the cutter to swing away (actually hold position) if the tractor moves and the cutters can’t cut that fast, then the operator stops advancement and lets the chipping head cut until it’s back vertical.

The hinges and the clutched PTO shaft are basically “fuses”.

They are not going to move as much as in that photo above, just a few degrees will be inches at the stump, should keep the u-joints happy.

The 3/4” pin locks them so it doesn’t flop to the ground when you want to store it.

/ PTO powered stump grinder build #45  
The idea is the hinge allows the cutter to swing away (actually hold position) if the tractor moves and the cutters can’t cut that fast, then the operator stops advancement and lets the chipping head cut until it’s back vertical.
I hope for you that it works the way you envision. A chainsaw has depth gauges, preventing the chisels from biting too much and stalling the engine. I dont have experience with stump cutters, but i would rather have a slip clutch in the PTO shaft as driveline protection, and have the cutter assembly as rigid as possible. Also, your link arm stabilisers would need to be very tight or it will rock left to right whenever you engage a stump.

But i am keen on following this project and see how it pans out on the test run, i have only watched stump cutters from a distance so i might be wrong off course 😀

/ PTO powered stump grinder build #46  
Many small grinders are designed with the forgiving swing away feature. There are several 3pt makes and skidsteer ones too. I like how the OP is adding heft to his as that should help with it hopping while cutting...good job and keep us up to date. (y)

/ PTO powered stump grinder build #47  
Many small grinders are designed with the forgiving swing away feature. There are several 3pt makes and skidsteer ones too. I like how the OP is adding heft to his as that should help with it hopping while cutting...good job and keep us up to date. (y)

That one looks like a toy compared to what the OP is fabricating

/ PTO powered stump grinder build #48  
That one looks like a toy compared to what the OP is fabricating
No kidding! Pretty wimpy compared to what we are watching being built. (y)

/ PTO powered stump grinder build
Exact same concept though. There are a number of outifts that make them based on the same concept, not an original idea just the execution and I‘ll admit I wouldn’t build them like this, if I were selling them but I was using as much scrap as I could.

I didn’t get too fancy with setting the tooth angle, just a slight inside rake, squaring the face with the centerline.

67214877-A2BF-472C-996F-492A240F53C5.jpeg

Set the angles with some aluminum cut to the proper angle and a “shim” for depth of cut.

271CE357-E092-4A88-BC29-2B93CAD2564E.jpeg

Then finished welding it out (photos - the 2 spots I missed).

D6F924C3-B454-4EC7-8061-B1C9A1782D5D.jpeg
02B3474A-13CE-4BEC-A3FD-7FF5DDE097F4.jpeg

Luckily I took so long on this project @pmsmechanic , had me go get a balancing machine from the farm and bring it home. It did catch two welds I missed though.

F7698B09-F42E-44CF-B67D-F2500F0FACBC.jpeg

Attachments

• 55297FF3-8217-4844-826E-273060DF7521.jpeg
    55297FF3-8217-4844-826E-273060DF7521.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 32
   / PTO powered stump grinder build #50  
Many small grinders are designed with the forgiving swing away feature.

Very interesting !! I have been thinking about building it simple like that, but thought it wouldnt work. All stump grinders here in Europe are heavy duty commercial ones with outriggers for a firm stance.

And it works good on a 20hp compact too.. i have 60hp at my disposal.

I am just not sure when i build one, do i want it like this, super simple, or do i want one with an angle gearbox, which i can rotate 90 degrees so i can also use it as a tree saw, cutting at ground level without dulling my chainsaw in the dirt... it would be really cool if i could just run over things backward, for fencerow cleanup.