3-Point Hitch PTO pump issues

/ PTO pump issues #1  

jpaeye

Tractor
Kubota L5740 and New Holland TC33D
Ordered a 30 ton 3 point hitch log splitter from Ramsplitter/woodsplittersdirect in May. After a wait of 2 months while it was built, I was excited to install it this weekend. I have a 2002 New Holland TC33D and with its less than robust hydraulics, I ordered a PTO pump to power it. I simply did not want to maintain another gas engine, and now I regret my decision greatly.

After ordering some missing fittings from Surplus Center, I finally installed it on the tractor this past Saturday. It truly is built like a tank. I backed the tractor up to an area that should I spring a leak, the mess wouldn't matter too much. I started the PTO under idle, and things were fine. I bumped the RPMs to 1500-1800 and all **** broke loose. The chain on the torque arm of the PTO pump broke, setting it free which opened up the return line and turned my high pressure side hydraulic hose into a pretzel. I was standing right there, and shut it down immediately, but not before a pretty good shower with hydraulic fluid.

My question is in regard to the PTO pump, and my lack of experience with them, as well as a lack of instructions/directions from Ramsplitter. My PTO shaft of my tractor is only 2.75" long, with an available mating surface of 2.5" due to the transmission casing configuration. I did remove my shroud to mount the pump. The PTO pump is 7" in depth and the opening to mount the PTO shaft runs the full depth of the pump. Is 2.5" enough to keep this pump in place? Also, do these pumps have any mechanism to lock in place onto the PTO shaft like a PTO shaft does? Or do the rely on the chain/torque arm to keep them in place? The minimalist instructions with the pump did mention to have it chained slightly ahead of the pump. I did search the forums, and one thread mentioned a PTO shaft extender. That would be a possibility but I worry about putting extra stress on the bearings of the tractor given the PTO pump weight of about 50 lbs.

At this point, I wish I would have simply bought a gas-powered log splitter. I could have been done cleaning up all the large trees that came down on our property this Spring by now, instead of spending another $70 in hydraulic hoses and fluid. Thank you for any and all experiences and advice.

/ PTO pump issues #2  
The chains should hold the pump in place. did the system come with the splitter or is it one you put together? We will know better how to answer.

/ PTO pump issues
The chains should hold the pump in place. did the system come with the splitter or is it one you put together? We will know better how to answer.

The PTO pump came with the log splitter. I do not know what brand it is, but it looks identical to the Prince pumps.

/ PTO pump issues #4  
Did it look like a bad place in the chain or was there just that much torque on the pump. It sounds like something is not plumbed right or the pump has problems. With everything unhooked and before you replace the hose how hard is the pump to turn by hand. is should be very smooth. If you get it up again make sure the chain is tight enough that it holds near the top or side not the bottom of the pump/ Try to split some straight grained wood at idle. Just trying to answer what might be wrong without seeing it and without knowing what you know it hard but I am sure others will know more than me. Ed

/ PTO pump issues
Thank you for your thoughts Ed. The chain pulled apart at an "S" hook. Basically stretched it. I'm also not certain this was a good quality chain. Not convinced it came from Prince, seems a little thin for this application so it will be replaced. I guess my major concern is that only 2.5" of my PTO shaft mates with this pump, which has a potential mating length of 7". With no prior experience, is this OK, or should I pursue a PTO shaft extender?

/ PTO pump issues #6  
I agree... to have broken the chain, there must have been some massive torque on that pump.

almost like the pump was runnagainst a dead head.

is the valve configured open center?

is their a relief.

pump should suction from a resevoir, and have a pressure line to the valve. from the valve, 2 lines to the DA cyl. from the valve, a return line to the sump.

valve should incorporate a relief, if not, a relief should be in the pressure line from the pump.

is this a valve they supplied? so valves can be configured open or closed center with just changing a plug.

that valving and plumbing I listed above is a generalization. small variations may exist due to multi stage pumps.. etc..

PS.. I'd get the long pto extender.

50# is nothing for the bearings. average PTO shaft can weight that much or more.. plus there is a bearing right at the pto stub anyway.

and yes, there should be some sort of retainer, be it pin or nub.

/ PTO pump issues #7  
If it pulled part at the S hook it was not the chain that broke. I would get rid of any S hooks and loop the chain around the hitch and bolt it fast. I would also not worry about how far it slides on your PTO shaft if you have 2.5 inches on it already BUT you want it to lock on your shaft and if it doesn't it will try to work off the shaft causing it to put 2 different strains on your chain. There should be a lock pin on the coupler on the pump where it slides over your PTO shaft and snaps into the groove on the shaft on your tractor. As was mentioned you can get a PTO shaft extender but most do not fit tight and slop around on you tractor shaft causing it to wear. If you are gettin 2.5 inches on you splines that is more than enough as most splined shafts with a gear on them are only on an inch or so

/ PTO pump issues #8  
PTO shaft extender but most do not fit tight and slop around on you tractor shaft causing it to wear.

generalization.

Just don't buy a loose POS one. Buy one that fits.

I have a 7 or 8" extension on a jd tracttor to drive a pump for a front mounted road sweeping broom. The shaft to adapter lockup is just underinterference fit.. no play.

Again. don't buy a POS connector... and it won't be loose, assuming your tractors pto stub isn't already worn or out of dimension.

I have a couple different pto pumps. the ones that are not 'thru' drives have some sort of yoke mechanism to hold the groove or pin on.

the ones made for thru drive, may have different than the 'normal' spring loaded ball detent hold on method.

/ PTO pump issues
Thank you to you all for your replies and experience. The valve is a Prince valve, and I believe it is the $98 valve advertised as perfect for a log splitter at Surplus Center. It came with the log splitter. The plumbing/hoses are installed correctly.

Sound guy, do your "thru" pumps have any pins/yokes/any means of locking the pump to the detention in the PTO shaft? Mine is a "thru" pump and I cannot find a locking mechanism of any sort on it.

/ PTO pump issues #10  
You chain I forward, and that prevents rotation, use something lil a 15" adapter if you need to drive implements thru it.