PTO Pump or No PTO Pump

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #1  

lablovers

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti, LK3054XS
Well I am getting down to the nitty gritty and a new question came up that I need help with. The updated LK3054 has a hydraulic pump output of about 10 GPM. I believe that is for the PTO, steeriing and Loader. This should be no problem. But since I am adding a backhoe, one dealer suggested using a PTO pump instead of hooking it up to the tractor hydraulic system. It did make sense as I remember someone talking about running hot oil throught the tractor for extended periods of time may not be the best idea. While building our house I plan on using it for long hours and in summer heat.

If it will prolong the life of the tractor then it would probably make sense. The 3054 does have a two speed PTO, so could I run the RPM a little slower and get the same output? Would there be less wear and tear on the engine? Or is this much ado about nothing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I am asking this in the general area rather than the Kioti forum to get imput from as many as possible. Any imput will be appreciated.

Richard aka Lablovers

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #2  
Since you will be unlikely to be using anything else at the same time as the backhoe, 10gpm sounds like plenty of capacity for just the backhoe.

The key question would be to determine if the oil from the power-beyond return runs through a cooler? Many tractors have an oil cooler mounted up front in front of the radiator to cool the hydraulic oil with the fan. If this is the case, I would think that it should be able to sustain high power output through the hydraulics without overheating.

- Rick

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #3  
The gpm that would be available from the tractor for the hoe would be in neighborhood of 7 gpm if the total output is around 10 gpm. That would be plenty, some manufactures actually put on PTO pumps that put out less gpm than the tractor. Using the tractor hydraulics should in no way decrease the life of your tractor. Yes, you can decrease the rpms and run the hoe slower. It is recommended for new owners or operators. I hardly ever run one at max speed for digging.

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #4  
Richard
In my opinion the Advantage to having a separate pump is the INDEPENDENCE of each hydraulic system. When a hose let go on my Backhoe, the tractors system was untouched.
You also do not have cross conamination of the fluids if you share the BH with anyone.

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #5  
There are a lot of both kinds of backhoes out there working reliably, so either will work as well as the other probably, both for the tractor and for the hoe.

When I got my tractor/backhoe, I liked the idea of a seperate system on the backhoe with the PTO pump. I thought at the time that this would possibly keep the hydraulic oil in the tractor cleaner. Yet I didn't have a problem with the loader being operated by the tractor's hydraulics. Go figure...

The PTO pump is one more thing to struggle with when attaching the backhoe. Not much of a struggle, granted, but more of a struggle than connecting up a couple of quick disconnects is.

Today, I would not worry about which I got at all. If I had a choice I might even choose a hoe powered by the tractor, rather than a PTO pump. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #6  
<font color="blue"> You also do not have cross conamination of the fluids if you share the BH with anyone. </font>

therrien,

One thing I like about TBN is I keep expanding my vocabulary!

What's this word share mean??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Excellent point...even if share is a word that is foreign to me when I think tractors... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #7  
I really love having the indepent pump sytem, it allows me the ability to change the fluid at different intervals than the tractor depending on how much I use it.

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #8  
I have a friend with the pump, and he always comments how much he hates trying to get it connected. That may differ wildly between the machines.

I swappedm out the hoe last night to move bales. It just takes a few minutes, but little things can sure turn that into a chore that keeps you from swaooing, and really de-valueing the hoe.

I don't think that share and backhoe should be in the same sentence. If someone needs my backhoe,I would much rather it stay on my tractor. But then, if I lived next to my brother, and we both had the sameish tractor, maybe.

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump #9  
I had the same debate on my tractor and went with the tractor hydraulics for several reasons. The biggest reason was having a remote to use for other things besides the hoe.
The cost was the same to add a PTO pump or a remote. Just made sense since I needed a remote anyway.

/ PTO Pump or No PTO Pump
Thanks to all for your imput. It did not look all that difficult to put on the pump and I do like the idea of separate systems. They gave plent of room access room for it. Although over time it probably will be a pain. I will check into whether or not it has a cooler. I doubt it though.
Richard aka Lablovers