PTO Pump Problems

/ PTO Pump Problems #11  
Silly question, I had the PTO quick working once from low fluid. I am sorry to ask because you probably checked it, but is your reservoir level OK? I had a slow leak in my stump grinder and you would be amazed how fast 2000 + PSI can pump oil.

/ PTO Pump Problems
Thanks for all your feedback. I did bleed the system after the filter change. And yesterday unscrewed the filter to make sure it was full of fluid and re-bled the system. Everything else, lift, wheel motors and articulation seem to be working fine. Terry did say that if I had a gauge or if the machine was down in Tazwell the first thing he do was test the PTO pump and make sure it was pumping at least 8 gpm. But I don't have a gauge so he is sending the pump. The PTO pump on the 425 is piggy backed to the tram pump. When the PTO switch is engaged fluid is directed to the brush hog, mower just not enough or not enough pressure, the blades turn very slowly. Terry asked as you did "BobRip" about whether my resevoir was full and it is. The new pump should be here today. So I will let all of you know what happens. Hopefully this works. I also noticed last night that the left rear wheel motor is leaking. I removed the wheel and it seems to be coming from the axle area where the wheel bolts on. There was about a teaspoon of oil sitting inside the wheel running on to the tire. The area inside the wheel was covered with a light coating of dirt and oil. Both hose fittings are tight and appear to be dry. Any thoughts?

/ PTO Pump Problems #13  
atwood said:
I also noticed last night that the left rear wheel motor is leaking. I removed the wheel and it seems to be coming from the axle area where the wheel bolts on. There was about a teaspoon of oil sitting inside the wheel running on to the tire. The area inside the wheel was covered with a light coating of dirt and oil. Both hose fittings are tight and appear to be dry. Any thoughts?

Did you drip any oil during your filter change that could have migrated over there?

/ PTO Pump Problems
MossRoad said:
Did you drip any oil during your filter change that could have migrated over there?

Of course oil dripped :) but I cleaned most of it up. By the looks of it the wheel motor leak has been leaking longer than since I changed the filter. This wheel motor is on the opposite side of the filter in my machine. It looks like it has been leaking at the axle, Do you know if there is some kind of seal at that point that could be bad?

/ PTO Pump Problems #15  
atwood said:
O Do you know if there is some kind of seal at that point that could be bad?

There is a seal where the shaft emerges from the motor.

/ PTO Pump Problems #16  
atwood said:
Thanks for all your feedback. I did bleed the system after the filter change. And yesterday unscrewed the filter to make sure it was full of fluid and re-bled the system. Everything else, lift, wheel motors and articulation seem to be working fine. Terry did say that if I had a gauge or if the machine was down in Tazwell the first thing he do was test the PTO pump and make sure it was pumping at least 8 gpm. But I don't have a gauge so he is sending the pump. The PTO pump on the 425 is piggy backed to the tram pump. When the PTO switch is engaged fluid is directed to the brush hog, mower just not enough or not enough pressure, the blades turn very slowly. Terry asked as you did "BobRip" about whether my resevoir was full and it is. The new pump should be here today. So I will let all of you know what happens. Hopefully this works. I also noticed last night that the left rear wheel motor is leaking. I removed the wheel and it seems to be coming from the axle area where the wheel bolts on. There was about a teaspoon of oil sitting inside the wheel running on to the tire. The area inside the wheel was covered with a light coating of dirt and oil. Both hose fittings are tight and appear to be dry. Any thoughts?
Hummm.. I finally finished building my new deck and used my PT to move materials/wood and tools in and out of the garage. What a big help it was. I now have 48 hours on the meter, and will be changing the filter out in a week or so.

This has got me feeling a little paranoid. I hope this turns out to be nothing all goes well and you get her back to normal. I’ll be curious to see what the problem was. I wish you good luck with it.

/ PTO Pump Problems
After replacing the solenoid that Terry had sent up, Terry finally sent up a new PTO pump that I received last Friday. Before I changed the pump Terry had sent a new PTO relief valve and asked me to swap this hoping it would be that simple, no luck. So, after an agonizing several hours I replaced pump (pretty darn tight in there) and guess what still no pressure from the PTO pump. I threw my hands up and called Terry on Monday and asked him if it would be OK to bring it down on Tuesday. Terry of course said they would be ready for me when I got there. For most of 5 hour trip to Tazewell I kept on thinking what did I do to the machine to cause the PTO to stop working? Remember the PTO worked fine until I changed the filter. My pea size brain unfortunately came up with zip. After a short wait at Power Trac, Eddie whisked my 425 away to the mechanics shop. I asked to go along hoping to learn more but unfortunately due to liability concerns no customers allowed in the shop. I sat and talked with Carol (very nice) and then went up to talk with Scott in the showroom. Just before lunch time Terry came walking in with answer to the mystery. It turns out it was the relief valve all along. The adjustment that regulates the pressure was incorrect which was why the blades were turning slow. Now as soon as Terry told this to me my pea size brain kicks in as I stupidly hear myself say now I wonder how that got messed up? I have a flash back to when changing the filter for the first time I was having a hard time remembering where Terry told me to thread the hose in for bleeding the system (9 months ago). I had thought it was pretty easy to get to so I remembered unscrewing one of the relief valves and realized no this couldn’t be it so I tighten it back down and proceeded to the cap on the side of the tram pump. I had totally forgotten this until standing there at Power Trac feeling like a total you know what. Terry, Eddie and Scott were very gracious and didn’t make me feel any dumber than I did. The trip was not a waste though; they replaced a leaky rear hydraulic wheel motor, replaced the seal around the gas tank which had been leaking since day one when more than half filled, tightened the large articulating nut which I don’t own a big enough wrench for (1 and 15/16ths); it was pretty loose and cleaned up the entire machine, all under warranty. I sure have learned a lot more about hydraulics and the PT 425 which is a good thing. In addition I was impressed with the service from Power Trac. I apologize for the long post and thanks for all the feedback and everyone’s input on this forum and these pretty darn incredible machines.

/ PTO Pump Problems #19  
Atwood, You said that you replaced the relief valve that Terry sent you, was that the valve that they found bad. Something doesn't sound right. About the only to check a relief valve is to put a pressure gage on it and see if it relieves at the correct pressure. On a fixed relief valve, there is only one nut which is used to install the valve. On an adjustable relief valve, there is one nut to tighten the valve, and another nut to tighten the adjusting screw. If you turned the wrong nut, you would have messed up the relief settings.Glad every thing is fixed now. I would still recommend a pressure gage.

/ PTO Pump Problems #20  
atwood said:
After replacing the solenoid that Terry had sent up, Terry finally sent up a new PTO pump that I received last Friday. Before I changed the pump Terry had sent a new PTO relief valve and asked me to swap this hoping it would be that simple, no luck. So, after an agonizing several hours I replaced pump (pretty darn tight in there) and guess what still no pressure from the PTO pump. I threw my hands up and called Terry on Monday and asked him if it would be OK to bring it down on Tuesday. Terry of course said they would be ready for me when I got there. For most of 5 hour trip to Tazewell I kept on thinking what did I do to the machine to cause the PTO to stop working? Remember the PTO worked fine until I changed the filter. My pea size brain unfortunately came up with zip. After a short wait at Power Trac, Eddie whisked my 425 away to the mechanics shop. I asked to go along hoping to learn more but unfortunately due to liability concerns no customers allowed in the shop. I sat and talked with Carol (very nice) and then went up to talk with Scott in the showroom. Just before lunch time Terry came walking in with answer to the mystery. It turns out it was the relief valve all along. The adjustment that regulates the pressure was incorrect which was why the blades were turning slow. Now as soon as Terry told this to me my pea size brain kicks in as I stupidly hear myself say now I wonder how that got messed up? I have a flash back to when changing the filter for the first time I was having a hard time remembering where Terry told me to thread the hose in for bleeding the system (9 months ago). I had thought it was pretty easy to get to so I remembered unscrewing one of the relief valves and realized no this couldn’t be it so I tighten it back down and proceeded to the cap on the side of the tram pump. I had totally forgotten this until standing there at Power Trac feeling like a total you know what. Terry, Eddie and Scott were very gracious and didn’t make me feel any dumber than I did. The trip was not a waste though; they replaced a leaky rear hydraulic wheel motor, replaced the seal around the gas tank which had been leaking since day one when more than half filled, tightened the large articulating nut which I don’t own a big enough wrench for (1 and 15/16ths); it was pretty loose and cleaned up the entire machine, all under warranty. I sure have learned a lot more about hydraulics and the PT 425 which is a good thing. In addition I was impressed with the service from Power Trac. I apologize for the long post and thanks for all the feedback and everyone’s input on this forum and these pretty darn incredible machines.
Hey live and learn. We all make a mistake once in a while. Most of mine come from being in a hurry. Glad service was good, and all of your little head aches fixed while you were there. PT on....