PTO Safety COver

/ PTO Safety COver #11  
The PTO shaft for my brush mower is also a failure. The little plastic screws that hold each half to the yoke end are gone so the cover just floats there somewhere on the shaft. I think the purpose is so that the cover will slip on the shaft instead of winding up the collar of your shirt or your pants cuff or something. I stay a long ways from that spinning shaft and wouldn't trust a cover even if it was working.

I will not be spending 75$ to repair the shaft cover. If it disappears then that is fine.

/ PTO Safety COver #12  
I just left $150 at the local JD dealer for new PTO shaft covers for my old haybine. I figure it's cheap for safety reasons. The haybine still has a few years of life left in it.

Rich
NJ

/ PTO Safety COver #13  
Billy_S said:
Mein Gott, $75 for a cover? I guess mine will just stay uncovered.

Maybe, in my rookieness, I am missing the point of a PTO shaft cover anyway. Sure, it looks mean, spinning, uncovered, but it is a long way away from where I am sitting on the tractor.

Billy,
See what the other guys said about getting stuff wrapped up. The protection is not just for you. Think of the one time some kid or anyone else is around it when you're in the tractor. Also, there are many incidents where a guy gets off his tractor to "adjust" something on the implement and gets wrapped up. Murphy's Law...
Do a search in the safety forum. There was a thread with a link to farm PTO accidents....grissley gorey accidents showing farmers wrapped up onto the PTO shaft like some kind of pagan shis ka bob. I can't even stand the thought of it....
Anyone remember that thread?

/ PTO Safety COver #14  
3RRL said:
Billy,
See what the other guys said about getting stuff wrapped up. The protection is not just for you. Think of the one time some kid or anyone else is around it when you're in the tractor. Also, there are many incidents where a guy gets off his tractor to "adjust" something on the implement and gets wrapped up. Murphy's Law...
Do a search in the safety forum. There was a thread with a link to farm PTO accidents....grissley gorey accidents showing farmers wrapped up onto the PTO shaft like some kind of pagan shis ka bob. I can't even stand the thought of it....
Anyone remember that thread?

Hi Rob,
Actually I dont want to remember:eek: But I get your drift on the safety end of things !!!

/ PTO Safety COver #15  
Charlie Daniels, the Country singer came pretty close to losing his arm many years back on a PTO while operating a post hole digger.