PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male

/ PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male #21  
Well, it's a matter of interpretation I guess. The glass half full aspect is that 6' is not enough rotary cutter for a 5320. The glass half empty aspect would be that a 5320 is too much tractor for a 6' mower. Yet either interpretation underscores my point. And that is - given the type mowing I do - with 55 PTO hp at my disposal, I wouldn't have anything less than an 8 footer behind it.

But understand that my experience until only recently has been strictly with geared tractors. Given the comparatively disappointing work output of my new eHydro, I'm not discounting the possibility of having to eat those words some day.

//greg//

/ PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male #23  
Well, it's a matter of interpretation I guess. The glass half full aspect is that 6' is not enough rotary cutter for a 5320. The glass half empty aspect would be that a 5320 is too much tractor for a 6' mower. Yet either interpretation underscores my point. And that is - given the type mowing I do - with 55 PTO hp at my disposal, I wouldn't have anything less than an 8 footer behind it.
//greg//

Greg
Put your 55 hp pulling an 8ft cutter in CRP ground that the weeds were as tall or taller than your tractor and "your glass will be running over". Sometimes buying a tractor too small is as bad as buying an implement too large.

JD and all other equip. manufacturers lists spec's on equipment for a reason.

/ PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male #24  
Greg
Put your 55 hp pulling an 8ft cutter in CRP ground that the weeds were as tall or taller than your tractor ...
Well, you quoted my words, but apparently didn't read them all. Let me redirect your attention to the part that said "given the type mowing I do..."

//greg//

/ PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male #25  
That mower is suitable for the tractor size, we run a 5 ft bushhog squealer on between 50 to 100 pto hp whatever is around, the 100 hp tractor you have to be careful not to push the mower.

Not knowing exactly how your cat 6 slip clutch is setup, I'd back off spring tension before I removed clutch pads. The same tension on less friction area might actually increase the torque before slipping then cause increased wear on the pads.

/ PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male #26  
Well, you quoted my words, but apparently didn't read them all. Let me redirect your attention to the part that said "given the type mowing I do..."

//greg//

Greg
Therefore you must be thinking mchildress does the same type mowing as you which I seriously doubt. You apparently read JD's spec sheet when you quoted it but didn't read it all. So I guess we're even on our reading comprehension. Have a nice day from a retired JD dealer employee.

/ PTO Shaft Adapter 1 3/8 21 female to 1 3/4 20 male
That mower is suitable for the tractor size, we run a 5 ft bushhog squealer on between 50 to 100 pto hp whatever is around, the 100 hp tractor you have to be careful not to push the mower.

Not knowing exactly how your cat 6 slip clutch is setup, I'd back off spring tension before I removed clutch pads. The same tension on less friction area might actually increase the torque before slipping then cause increased wear on the pads.

Good point that makes since I'll have to play with it. The original clutch had a two clutch set up and the cat 6 has five. I pulled two and a plate leaving 3 but will chalk the plates and make sure I have some slippage. Probably like you said I would get longer wear with all them in but like Jim mentioned earlier I got be careful and not take out the gear box. Just trying to find a happy medium.

Greg we mow professionally myself and two boys have yearly contracts mostly knocking down small 2 to 5 acre patches of thick Bahia and coastal grass in acreage subdivisions.We use to bale it but they want it kept down now with more houses going in so we just shred it monthly. We have some larger fields we mow and the blood weed can be 10 to 12 ft high and some with 7 to 8 foot johnson grass. The MX6 has been a great mower and I plan on keeping her going for a couple more years. Just in my honest opinion the clutch and drive line could stand to be just a tad larger.

Thanks again guys for your input.