PTO Shaft Disconnect

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #1  

TexJer

Tractor
Kubota B6100
I've attached a pic of the PTO shaft on my tractor. How do you disconnect this? Does it twist one way or the other? This is a new one to me. All the other PTOs I've dealt with had a release pin. I did notice on the shaft cover it says "Made in Italy".

Garden2009021.jpg

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #2  
The black part with grip groves (closest to the tractors paint job)(nicely done:)) well any way, pull the thing back. Its a sleve that only unlocks when it is pulled back. I hope this is right.:)

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #3  
I have one that looks just like that and you have to turn & hold that black ring while sliding the connector on or off the tractor shaft (at least on mine). That ring is spring loaded. It is fairly easy to rotate to the "open" position, but I find it difficult to hold "open" while I align and push the connector onto the tractor shaft. I think you rotate it counter-clockwise to "open", but NOT sure. It should be easy to rotate (one way or the other).

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #4  
my MX6 is very similar to this. you pull it back and slide it forward all in one odd motion. the bush hog i had prior to this was MUCH simpler to attatch and remove, you just pushed and held a button while sliding it on. when the button popped out you knew it was locked. this "new" way of attatching brush cuttuers is a terrible design imo and the only grip i have about the MX6. if i can ever find a medium duty 6' bush hog that hooks up using the old way i just might get rid of the MX6 and go for what i consider to be alot easier.

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect
Thanks all.......I'll try pulling/twisting/pushing/prying/swearing this afternoon. You just know some college grad'gee-at came up with this "better" design. Yeah, I agree.......the old way seemed easier and better. I'll be looking for an old style if this sucker gives me too much trouble. It goes to my Land Pride finish mower.

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #6  
I,m Glad You Posted this , Because I Just bought a Used 6 foot finish mower & I Never noticed untill after the Guy that Delivered it that it Has this Type Of Connector . I Havant tryed to hook it up yet , Thinking It might not Work . :eek:

So I,d sure be Interested in What You find out if You dont Mind , Looks Dangerous to Me as I,m not sure how You can Know for sure its Locked . Thanks , Bob :D

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #7  
Same yoke as my Rhino SE5 has. Turn the big ring clockwise, hold it, and pull the PTO shaft off the tractor.

To reinstall, slip the shaft onto the tractor shaft splines, it will go on about an inch, then twist the ring clockwise and push it further onto the shaft. You can now let go of the ring, and push it all the way onto the shaft. When the lock balls get to the retention notch in the tractor's PTO shaft, the ring will snap back to its normal position. Give the shaft a good push and pull forward and back to make sure it's secure, and you're good to go.

Easy as pie ;)

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #8  
Thanks for the info Brian , Sounds simple enough I,ll give it a try & Thanks again to TexJer for Posting This thread, :D . Bob

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #9  
I believe there is a ball bearing under that black ring, and in the licked position, the ball sits in the grove on the PTO shaft. If it has been sitting awhile, it may have rusted and is binding. Spray it down with WD-40, and try and rotate or slide the black ring back and forth to see if it will loosen. When you get it off, take a wire brush and clean the PTO shaft really good. When you get it off, look inside the black ring and check the ball for free movement. You may need some assistance , someone pulling and you turning /sliding the black ring. Once you know how it works, it is easy.

/ PTO Shaft Disconnect #10  
I believe there is a ball bearing under that black ring, and in the licked position, the ball sits in the grove on the PTO shaft. If it has been sitting awhile, it may have rusted and is binding. Spray it down with WD-40, and try and rotate or slide the black ring back and forth to see if it will loosen. When you get it off, take a wire brush and clean the PTO shaft really good. When you get it off, look inside the black ring and check the ball for free movement. You may need some assistance , someone pulling and you turning /sliding the black ring. Once you know how it works, it is easy.

Thanks JJ & All , Just as Ya,ll Said , I Sprayed Them with a little WD40 & They Worked Just Like You said & Clicked Right on , Much Safer then I First thought also . Thanks again . :D , Bob