PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #1  

escavader

Veteran Member
Tractor
bx-23 ,
I was chipping brush today,it was going good.Iput a big one in it started to die the tractor,then the driveline came apart bang bang craSH.It seperated where the two halfs are splined togeather,and really beat it up.Ive used the chipper for a couple seasons and it never happened before.Was the shaft cut too short ? Was my top link not adjusted properly ,and allowed it to seperate?Iwould think if all four feet on the chipper are on the ground,and the grounds fairly flat,it shouldnt have happened,i think it was made too short-correct me if im wrong,
Can i get the spline part of the shaft at tractor supply?Are they all the same?Looks like simple roll pins holding it to the yokes.Whats the proper way to measure and cut a drive line?
Idid some hammering and got it back togeather ,but it doesnt slide in and out good.Ifinished my woodlot chipping with the chipper off the ground so not to strain or break something.
ALAN

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #2  
With out seeing it, it's hard to say what happened. It may have been too short when fully extended...might have been something else altogether.
Without seeing it, I'm recommending you replace it.

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #3  
I agree with replacing it. It may have not been engaged very far and only a short piece of the spline was working. Check to see that the new one is not at the end of extension range. A chipper is a pretty hard load and you need plenty of spline working.

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #4  
Also be sure that either:

A. Your shear pin on the chipper is the proper grade (usually a Grade 2 bolt ( no marks on the head))... check the owners manual for the proper size and type, or,

B. That the slip clutch is not frozen solid.

But, I agree with the others, it sounds as if your PTO shaft was cut too short... Or, the PTO shaft was not locked onto the tractor PTO shaft, which could allow it to slide toward the tractor, extending a couple of inches more than normal. Either way, it sounds as if your shaft is too short.

Are you the original owner of this machine? If you are not, and the original owner had an 8N (or other Ford N series tractor) chances are that he had to cut the PTO shaft in order for it to work with the Ford tractor. The old Ford N's, if equipped with an ORC, usually need a shorter than normal PTO shaft compared to newer CUT's.

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #5  
Sounds like it was too short and I would replace because a repair could be out of balance after the beating the shaft took. A question; I assume the chipper is transported on the 3pt and then lowered to the ground for operation. Lowering to the ground would extend the PTO shaft and that is when it was too short. When putting it on the ground is the PTO shaft at much of an angle? I could see that being an issue also.

I am really surprised that this happened if you are using the shaft that came with the chipper and it was never shortened. You have a nice chipper that is meant to be used on many different tractors. It would seem that the BX being one of the smaller ones it would have the least amount of travel from transport mode to operational mode.

Glad no one was hurt. It can be real dangerous if a PTO shaft lets go and someone is too close.

MarkV

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #6  
With the chipper sitting on the ground how much overlap on the 2 shafts do you have? If you are not willing to replace the shafts you may consider sitting the chipper on a pallet the next time as it will give you more overlap.

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #7  
Alan,
I'd replace the shaft new. They're not too expensive.
I'd also measure the length needed when the chipper is resting on the ground (but mounted on your tractor) to get the correct length. Then check how long it needs to be when raised up for transportation, (might be shorter by a little bit that way?)

When buying the new one, get it with as much overlap as possible that still allows it to collapse to the length required for transport. You are never going to run the chipper in "transport" position, right?

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #8  
My PTO tiller shaft came apart once. I attribute it to installation of Pat's easy change, which moved the implement 4" aft. Plus when it came apart, I was at max depth and one rear tire went over a big clod.

Still need to get a new pto cover as the old one is chopped up.

I plan to lower the tiller, drive the rear wheels on 4x4's, then measure for max length. Then raise it to the top it will go and measure that to find the proper length for replacement.

You don't want it to bottom out at max heigth.

ron

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #9  
I'm in the 'replace' boat.

If it was too short.. you can't fix it anyway.

Go ahead and replace yokes and all.. only thing i might keep is if it has a detachable torque limiter.

Try to line it up and see how much overlap the shafts did have.. post the results.

also.. is it the oem shaft for the chipper.. or was it repalced with a driveline not rated for that load?

Soundguy

/ PTO SHAFT FLEW APART TODAY #10  
I cut a PTO shaft for my cat 1 tiller a few months ago. I think it said a minimum of 6 inches overlap.