PTO shaft hitting the drawbar

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #1  

Hughman

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TC33DA
I was just greasing up the rfm getting ready for the first mow when I noticed the plastic safety guard on the pto shaft mangled in the middle. Looks like the shaft is coming into contact with the drawbar when the tractor breaks over a hill.

I was able to get it apart and shorten the inner portion of the safety shield so it slides again.

The drawbar has some pins that allow it to swing slightly to the right or left. Is that all that's needed or should I be removing the drawbar completely when mowing?

What does everyone else do?

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #2  
I was just greasing up the rfm getting ready for the first mow when I noticed the plastic safety guard on the pto shaft mangled in the middle. Looks like the shaft is coming into contact with the drawbar when the tractor breaks over a hill.

I was able to get it apart and shorten the inner portion of the safety shield so it slides again.

The drawbar has some pins that allow it to swing slightly to the right or left. Is that all that's needed or should I be removing the drawbar completely when mowing?

What does everyone else do?
They can be moved left or right if that will provide enough clearance.

The other options are:

1- pin it farther forward, my TC45DA drawbar has two hole to attach it and on shortens is a far amount.

2 - take it off for PTO work.

3 - limit how far down the attachment goes to eliminate the interference.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #3  
If you can't slide it in anymore, it may be better to just remove it.

The drawbar on mine has the clevis. If I leave it with the clevis in the up position, the PTO shaft on my tiller will it if I go through a low spot. So I just flip it upside down and doesn't hit anymore.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #4  
I have to pull the pins and remove my drawbar for the 3pt snowblower and the for the trailer sickle mower I have to remove the top tang(?) of the drawbar for the same reason. Different geometry between tractors and implements over the years. When my sickle is on my Massey, the pto is on an uphill angle so it's far away from the drawbar.
All the same, but different.:unsure:

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar
Swung it to one side and seem to give enough clearance. It's the "top tang" on the drawbar that was hitting. I'll pay closer attention next time I crest a hill to make sure it's clearing.

If I was a flat lander I would have never noticed.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #6  
My drawbar hits the pto shield on my stump grinder (only) so I just remove the drawbar when grinding stumps.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #7  
I have to swing the drawbar all the way to one side when using PTO - on both tractors. My PTO implements are all 3-point mounted so they can't move side to side and having the drawbar over to the side provides plenty of clearance.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #8  
I just move it to the side for mowing. Only pto implement that does it.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #9  
I'm new to rotary cutters, and found damage to my pto shaft hitting my draw bar. Numerous Elk wallows and small coulees offered steep angles, so I removed the draw bar.

/ PTO shaft hitting the drawbar #10  
Swing your drawbar to one side. I have to do this with several 3pt implements on several tractors so it's not unusual.