PTO shaft

/ PTO shaft #1  

bones66

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF-230
Hearing a clicking noise coming from my Bush Hog as I am shutting down and the blade rotation slowing I thought maybe I had a u-joint going out. However it appears the slip joint is loose. How are they measured to tell if they are worn to the point of replacement.

/ PTO shaft #2  
Grab it in the middle pull it and see how much it moves...........

/ PTO shaft
Got some 澱ack and forth in it. That痴 what clicking as the shaft rotates you can see and obvious fall at the jct. area. Should it not have any, or how is too much measured.

/ PTO shaft #4  
Got some 澱ack and forth in it. That痴 what clicking as the shaft rotates you can see and obvious fall at the jct. area. Should it not have any, or how is too much measured.

Should be very little play , Maybe a bad u joint making the clicking noise........

/ PTO shaft
Should be very little play , Maybe a bad u joint making the clicking noise........
I should have been a little more detailed with the clicking. As I shut the PTO and tractor off and bring tractor to a stop the BH continues to rotate for quiet a while. This is when I notice the clicking and the deflection in the shaft as it rotates. Not to say I couldn稚 have a u-joint needing replacement the noise I知 hearing directly corresponds in time to that square shaft rotation and deflection.

/ PTO shaft #6  
The pto shaft could just be worn out where the two half's meet......Are the yoke on the shaft lined up with each other?........

/ PTO shaft #7  
There should be NO movement in a slip clutch. They should be under some pretty high spring tension. Are you sure you don't have a shear bolt system? I'm not sure but doesn't the BH use a shear bolt through two disks? Maybe the bolt is loose. Post a photo.

/ PTO shaft #8  
Had the same noise once, turned out the blades were hitting a bent spot on the deck .You only heard it when it was slowing down.

/ PTO shaft #9  
Following up on 3gunr be sure the blade bolts are tight.

/ PTO shaft
The pto shaft could just be worn out where the two half's meet......Are the yoke on the shaft lined up with each other?........
Not sure what youæ±*e speaking about being lined up???