PTO Shafts

/ PTO Shafts #1  

Anonymous Poster

Does anyone know where PTO shafts can be purchased? The shaft connecting my 540 PTO on a Kubota 2910 to a Sitrex 300 spreader has failed. The shaft was manufactured by Binacchi of Italy. I did a Google search and did not come up with any leads. jb.mcvey@cox.net

/ PTO Shafts #2  
Complete PTO Shafts
PTO.gif

We stock parts for most of the PTO MFG's including complete PTO plastic shields

/ PTO Shafts
That's a great response! The image that you show is a dead ringer for my dead shaft! I will contact you directly through your web site.

I'll ask others if anyone else has suffered a broken PTO shaft. I was quite surprised - I was in the middle of a job when the failure occurred. The spreader impeller was not jammed in any way. The shaft just twisted up into a knot and broke into two pieces. The UJ at the tractor, near where the failure occurred was hot, so the shaft was doing more work than it should have. It did not look to me that the alignment was out of whack, but I guess I'll make an attempt to elevate the implement so that the shaft is straight as an arrow.

I read somewhere that the shaft should not be in a fully contracted position. I had extended the top link of the 3-pt hitch so that the spreader was level when the hitch was fully raised. Maybe this did in fact cause the shaft to be in a too-contracted position so that it bound up when jostled.

/ PTO Shafts #4  
I hate to mention this but, since I don't know your experience level and your profile is blank, I will. Is there any possibility that your actual PTO shaft is fine and you've broken a shear bolt or that you have a slip clutch that's slipping all the time?

I know this is incredibly basic, but, again, not knowing anything other than what you wrote, I thought it might be worth mentioning before you spent the money to replace a shaft only to find your shaft is fine.

I hope you take this the way it's intended. Good luck with getting your situation cured. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Shafts
As the other person said, only to offer advice, not be insulting:

It's rare for a shaft to fail. You said the UJ was hot - is that the part that fialed? The cross can be replaced for about $10. They do fail from time to time.

But if the shaft itself truely fell apart on such a low-load implement, I would look very carefully for a _reason_ for this. Something is not right to make a shaft itself fail.

--->Paul

/ PTO Shafts
It was the shaft itself that failed. This is a light-duty shaft that has a cross-section like a lemon. The walls of the shaft are quite thin - less than 0.010 in. At the point of failure, the telescoping shaft twisted up into a knot and sheared into two pieces. Needless to say, both remaining sections of the shaft friction-welded so that they no longer telescope. The failed ends look like a classic torsion failure. The diameter at the point of failure is now about 30% of the original diameter.

Unfortunately the shaft ends are welded to the U- or coss-joint at either end so it would require cutting and re-welding if one wanted tp simply replace the shaft. The shaft probably represents 10% of the cost of the unit, but I'm looking at replacing the whole thing.

I always wanted an exuse to get myself a welding outfit, but I don't think this is the time to get into that.

Thanks for your input.

/ PTO Shafts
Here in NY you can pick them up at the Tractor Store. I've seen them on the shelf, but never looked hard at them.

LOL, Frank D.

/ PTO Shafts #8  
Agri Supply (1-800-345-0169) sells Eurocardian pto shafts. Their prices seem good. They also have a nice catalog. TSC sells some PTO shafts and parts. We have several shops around the county that build and repair pto shafts but I have found it is cheaper to replace the whole shaft. I also wonder about twisting the shaft on a spreader. Seems like the spreader would self destruct first. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chris

/ PTO Shafts #9  
Thoughts.

Perhaps you shaft needs to be shortened. It may have been crimped slighty when fully up and failed at this spot. The hot bearing may indicate it was subjected to end loading for which the bearing is not designed.

Egon