PTO shear pin advice.

/ PTO shear pin advice. #11  
Thanks for the info.

Shears bolts on a snowblower are probably the worst, just
because you're more likely to be using it in conditions that
are not ideal for chaning the bolt - usually working in the dark, snowing, freezing.... - if a slip cluuch is about $100,
would be well worth it from my perspective.

Thanks again.

/ PTO shear pin advice. #12  
PTO shear pin advice-Adding a Slip Clutch

pto58b.jpg

Slip clutches cost between $69-139. {usually less @ time of implement purchase}

Fairly easy to install… disconnect PTO shaft @ implement gearbox end… “slip” slip clutch onto gearbox shaft and secure…reinstall your PTO shaft back on the shaft of the newly installed slip clutch and secure shaft…

Now…recheck your PTO shaft length{as it shortened the distance of the new slip clutch}to prevent the shaft from “bottoming out” and you’re in business.

Check for proper operation of the slip clutch from this post:

Slip Clutch Adjustments etc.

With some periodic maintenance, you’ll enjoy your implement more and get more work done…

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ PTO shear pin advice. #13  
Re: PTO shear pin advice-Adding a Slip Clutch

The only thing you may want to check concerning adding the slip clutch would be the input shaft on the implement. I have both the slip clutch and shear pin on different implements. The slip clutch shaft is splined, while the shear pin shaft is non-splined with a hole for the bolt to slide through and lock the PTO/input shaft together.

Mike

/ PTO shear pin advice. #14  
Re: PTO shear pin advice-Adding a Slip Clutch

<font color=blue>...The slip clutch shaft is splined, while the shear pin shaft is non-splined...</font color=blue>

Hi Mike,

The slip clutch is available in multiple configurations, both splined and smooth input shafts... as well as splined and smooth output...

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ PTO shear pin advice. #15  
Bird,

I'm pretty sure my manuals for LandPride rotary cutter and rototiller say grade 5 shear bolts. From the view that I'm trying to protect the tractor, seems to matter lttle what the attachment is, impact load is impact load. Dosen't make sense to me, maybe I'm wrong on the grade 5 shear bolts, I'll check it at home tonight. Seems to me the tractor builder should be identifying the max shock load not the attachment builder. Am I wrong?

Al

/ PTO shear pin advice. #16  
Al, whether you're wrong about that or not, I don't know. I would guess that either the tractor or the implement, or both, could be damaged by the shock load. If your implement manual recommends a grade 5 bolt, then that's likely what I'd use . . . unless. . . you have an implement that's rated for a much higher horsepower tractor than the tractor with which you are using it. For instance, if you have an implement that's strong enough that the manufacturer says 80hp and grade 5 shear bolt and you have it behind a 30hp tractor, I might consider using a grade 2 bolt instead to protect the tractor instead of the implement. Keep in mind that this is only my personal opinion. As I said before, I have no technical expertise or knowledge in this area.

Bird

/ PTO shear pin advice. #17  
Thanks Bird,
I did check the manuals. The rototiller does say grade 5, the rotary cutter manual assumes everone buys the slip clutch and had nothing about a shear bolt./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

I have not sheared a bolt on either attachment. The tiller manual says 20 hp PTO minimum and I have 17 on the B7500 (works fine in my ground). I think I will go to grade 2 and if I have a shear problem then maybe go up to the grade 5.

<font color=blue>I have no technical expertise or knowledge in this area.</font color=blue>

I'll take your best guess ahead of most "experts" I talk with. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks

Al

/ PTO shear pin advice. #18  
Snowman,

I'm in the same boat (or perhaps drift in this case) as you. I blew at least one sheer bolt per plowing session last winter and started buying the bolts a half dozen at a time to keep enough on hand. I vowed to get a clutch for this season, and I'd say it's getting to be time.

Can anyone recommend where to buy one? Any good on-line or mail order places?

Peter

High techie, reciently founded a startup company and struggling for tractor time.

/ PTO shear pin advice. #19  
Peter
Check out Agri SupplyThey have just about any size slip clutch you could want. Prices are $52 to $100. Don't forget to adjust it to your tractor torque./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ PTO shear pin advice. #20  
<font color=blue>Don't forget to adjust it to your tractor torque.</font color=blue>

That is really good advice, Ron. I'm not sure exactly what the procedure is to do that, but recently I took my 5 ft. cutter off my Ford Jubilee (32 hp) and installed it on my NH TC45D. I instantly started shearing bolts because the NH has so much more torque. I hardly ever sheared a bolt with my Jubilee, but now I take two or three with me all the time. I can just imagine if I had a slip clutch installed on the TC45D and went to the Jubilee without readjustment, I could be courting disaster.

JimI