PTO Slip Clutch Installation

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation #11  
<font color=blue>Bob,
You're not thinking about overrunning clutches are you?</font color=blue>

Yep! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif That's exactly what I was thinking of! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Whole different ballgame, eh?

What I'm asking now is, does a JD4300 have the type of clutch that protects the PTO powertrain? I think it must, as when I pick up a rock in my tiller, the tractor engine slowly dies, as opposed to *instantly* dying. I assume a clutch must be included in the drivetrain to allow this?

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation #12  
Chances are that you have a slip clutch on the drive on the tiller. If it does not and the tractor slowly dies, it is slipping the tractor clutch, not a good thing, but better than ripping the gears out of the tractor.

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation #13  
I can't imagine it being anything other than what rdbrumfield has said. Of course, we're assuming that when that tiller picks up a rock, it promptly quits turning. So, if you don't have a slip clutch already on the tiller PTO drive shaft, I'd be checking the clutch adjustment on the tractor.

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation
I agree that sometimes being too aggressive can snap a shear pin. Most of mine snap when I hit some hidden log or stump beneath the brush. I hoping to slip the clutch and continue on. I will be setting up the clutch this weekend and I will report back. I'm taking all of the great responses found here and trying them out. Thanks for the advice.

SS

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation #15  
I'm going to get a slip clutch for my Rhino SE-6 and I was worried about damage to the PTO. The guy at TSC said to put a Grade 8 bolt where the slip clutch connects to the cutter, but use the standard shear bolt where it connects to the PTO. That way there is no way to damage your tractor.

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation #16  
I would have to challenge the intelligence of the fellow that told you to put grade 8 on the slip end and a grade 5 on the spline side, which will never slip on the tractor d-shaft. Stay with the recommended shear grade on the mower input shaft. If you tighten the clutch too much you will still have a safety valve for the gear box. Those shear pins wear over time and will part, even with the slip clutch, just have some spares and if you are going through them lighten the pressure of the clutch.

/ PTO Slip Clutch Installation #17  
I would venture a guess that most cutters with slip clutches really have no driveline protection at all. By this, I mean that at least annually, you should do just as em14 has suggested. Many times the metallic particles and the steel disk in the clutch rust together and your "slip" can't happen. Lots of new cutter parts and drivelines are sold every spring because few people do this maintenance. In fact, many dealers shy away from selling a slip clutch to novices because they have had bad experiences.

Now, am I saying slip clutches are bad? No way, I put slip clutch drivelines on every PTO implement I get, with the exception of belt driven final drives (ie most finish mowers). Changing one tractor PTO output shaft was enough for me. But unless I know the clutch hasn't seized, I take the time to do the maintenance before I ever engage the PTO.

Good advice em14.