PTO Slip clutch

/ PTO Slip clutch #1  

Syncro

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1532, Kubota B-26 TLB
I'm thinking of getting a PTO slip clutch for use with my 60" bush hog, any suggestions where to look and about how much?

I haven't used one of these before so I'm kinda ignorant on how they install. Ideally I'd like to have it just connect between the front universal splines and the tractor PTO shaft, and be removable so that I could also use it with a PHD. But as I said I don't know a thing about them, in the past having just used a simple shear pin. My current machine is a MF 1240 with an independent PTO that has an electric PTO clutch. I was thinking that a slip clutch would make engagement a little easier on it with less wear and tear, the last thing I want to do is have to replace an elect clutch as I'm sure it'd be a big job and lot of $$. Dose this make any sense? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ PTO Slip clutch #2  
I dont think it will be any easier on your clutch. It will attach directly to your pto shaft on the rear of your tractor.It will also protect your tractor from being locked up on a stump or something.Im not sure on price , I think the last one I bought was around $60.If you cant find em local then do a google search for agrisupply. They have an online store and could ship you one.Good Luck!

/ PTO Slip clutch #3  
Syncro,

TSC sells them, but I think they are about $110.00. The price went up recently. Probably due to steel costs. There are different styles and sizes. You may be able to get one cheaper online. Good luck.

Russ

/ PTO Slip clutch
Thanks for the info all. I've found a few on line, I assume they're all pretty much the same so I'll get one on price. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Creeper- Why do you say it won't be any easier on the elect clutch, I'd imagine a slip clutch could be adjusted so that there would be a little slippage at initial engagement, thats what I'm really after as the shear pin would take care of any sudden stops.

/ PTO Slip clutch #6  
If it's loose enough to slip due to engagement then it will very likely also be loose enough that any load will cause it to slip. Either it will do the work, but continuously slipping and generating lots of heat, or it will not do the work at all.

Best bet is to lower RPMs on the tractor to just above idle, engage the PTO clutch, then throttle up. Depend on the shear pin or slip clutch to handle the big shock loads only.

/ PTO Slip clutch #7  
what you might be thinking of is an over running coupler. it is used on older tractors without live pto. it is a must have when running a bush hog without live pto. it keeps the pto turning when the clutch is disengaged, therefore it doesnt push the tractor.

matt

/ PTO Slip clutch #8  
You would want the clutch set to disengage only when there is too much load. That woul not include initial engagement.They are designed to slip on dangerous objects, such as stumps,large roots,direct ground contact etc.That is what I have always understood its purpose to be.

/ PTO Slip clutch #9  
Let me clarify earlier post stating the slip clutch would attach directly to the rear pto...... An overslip clutch as another member stated would attach that way. The $60 clutches at tsc is designed to be placed on the implement end between the pto shaft and the implement.These 2 types of clutches get confused,depending on how old of a tractor you are used to.Hope I have confused you anymore? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ PTO Slip clutch #10  
Down to the basics.. you have ORC's and Slip clutches.

An ORC is a 1 way driven device that will ratchet to prevent tractor driveline backfeed via a spinning load ont he pto.. these are usefull on non live pto setups. All the ones I've ever seen install right onthe tractors pto stub. They convey NO driveline protection.. IE you still need a shear bolt or a slip clutch inline.

Slip clutch AKA torque limiter... It's just that. when a pre-determined amount of torque is reached.. the clutch slips... Typically these are installed at the gearbox onthe implement.

Soundguy