PTO speed question

/ PTO speed question #11  
While I don't disagree with any of the advice given for operating PTO implements, I believe your actual question was what RPM to run the engine when not using the PTO. I have a B3030 and I generally operate anywhere from idle (about 1100 RPM) to 2100 RPM. Most of the time it is about 1400-1600. The B3030 has so much power for its' size that high RPMs are rarely needed for most jobs. I typically drive around my yard in H range at a little above idle. I plow snow off my 300' driveway with a 6' RB in H at 1600 RPM. When I use the loader for light work I drop down to M. The only time I use L is if I am using the loader to dig dirt or to plow with my 2 bottom Ferguson. I can easily use L to get a full scoop of topsoil off of a pile and then shift to H to idle across the yard to where I want to dump it. I mow lawn at the low side of the orange PTO speed indicator on the tach. I mow in M which is ideal. At full HST pedal in M you are moving right along. If the ground is rough or the grass is wet and tall I will not run at full pedal. As you get more hours on your B3030 you will see what a good tractor it is. I like to use mine at the lowest RPM necessary to get the job done. On the other hand, you could do everything at WOT and the only thing that would suffer would be fuel consumption. The engine is designed to run its' whole life at WOT and last a long, long time. Change the oil regularly, keep the air filter clean and feed it good fuel and it will give you faithful service for many years. Good luck.

/ PTO speed question #12  
dutchman56 said:
I have a GL4630gstc and have just hit 50 hours. With front mount blower i have been running engine at 1800 to 2000 and blower works fine. Also used these speeds for 3pt log splitter. My father inlaw is old school and says don't rev engine if not required.

I don't own a tractor (yet) so I'll be the first to admit I don't know what I'm talking about but I was under the impression it is important to keep the rpms up when you have an HST trans for cooling purposes. I know that's what it says on my little hst lawn tractor (even when the engine is not under a load) and I've read on various threads on tbn one of the advantages of a gear trans is you can lower the rpms down and putt-putt down the farm lanes. I'm sure your old school father in law probably had a gear trans. Do you think there's any validity to keeping the rpm up for keeping a hst cool? Does the manual say anything about it? I'm sure 1800-2000 would be considered sufficient rpms though.

Beautiful snow mover you have there!

/ PTO speed question #13  
Never mind - I just noticed you have a GST!