PTO speed stability

/ PTO speed stability #21  
Even if your PTO driven generator lugs your tractor motor during surge demands,you can control electrical demand by selecting devices OFF. for example, no need to run your well pump and welder at the same time,right?

/ PTO speed stability #22  
My northstar was purchased in 04 or so I believe.. ( or late 03??? ).. it deffinately has some 'asian' characters on some of the hidden sticketrs i found on it.. still.. no issues.. good head.

Mine came securely bolted to a very sturdy mini pallate with 5/8 chipboard plywood deck and 2x4 rails and cross pieces.. almost a box fram not a pallate. I simply drilled 4 holes in the the corners and use long 1/2" bolts and mounted it down to a regular pallate, using some 3/16" metal scraps as large washers unde rthe wood planks on the pallate. that pallate was then bolted tot he carry-all using (8) 3/8 bolts. took all of 30 minutes with a drill and hand ratchet working at a casual pace doing it right onthe tractor with lift up so i didn't even have to bend over, and could get under it. ( supported with high lift jack and 2 jackstands with timber as a backup.

carry-all was the cheap 49$ job from tsc... a real good deal IMHO... not sure they are still that cheap though..

soundguy

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Northern. Years ago the Northstar generators were made in the USA. They don't advertise that anymore. A electrician I work with has told me they are not the quality they once were. I don't know it that is true or not. In any case it's 13kw, $1400 with cap voltage reg. They offer a mounting plate for $50 but then I have to fab up a mount to get it into a universal carry-all like soundguy suggested. That option seems like more work for similar money, rather than the generator manufactor 3pt hitch already ready fabbed up to take the specific gen head.

I really would prefer to buy somthing made here. (Or at least assembled here). The US gen heads I have found so far are IMD, Winco, and Onan. Are there any others?

BTW, Good tip about calling local tractor dealers to see if they have anything sitting around they want to move. I'll do that tomorrow.

/ PTO speed stability
That is cool the installation worked out well using the shipping pallet. I suppose I could just order a head and see how it arrives. Hopefully I'd get lucky and be able to do the same. The TSC carry-alls are up to $130, but that is a lot less then then $280 for the dedicated 3pt mount. Something to think about...

Northstar from 04 was still good... Hmm... That was 6 years ago. I'm worried your 04 may be different (better) then the new stuff. Hard to say.

It does not look like Kohler offers any PTO gen heads. I can't think of any other brands I have not already looked into.

Tomorrow Ill call some local tractor dealers to see if I can find something reasonable local. Failing that I'll order the IMD. It seems to offer a good balance of quality versus cost.

My northstar was purchased in 04 or so I believe.. ( or late 03??? ).. it deffinately has some 'asian' characters on some of the hidden sticketrs i found on it.. still.. no issues.. good head.

Mine came securely bolted to a very sturdy mini pallate with 5/8 chipboard plywood deck and 2x4 rails and cross pieces.. almost a box fram not a pallate. I simply drilled 4 holes in the the corners and use long 1/2" bolts and mounted it down to a regular pallate, using some 3/16" metal scraps as large washers unde rthe wood planks on the pallate. that pallate was then bolted tot he carry-all using (8) 3/8 bolts. took all of 30 minutes with a drill and hand ratchet working at a casual pace doing it right onthe tractor with lift up so i didn't even have to bend over, and could get under it. ( supported with high lift jack and 2 jackstands with timber as a backup.

carry-all was the cheap 49$ job from tsc... a real good deal IMHO... not sure they are still that cheap though..

soundguy

/ PTO speed stability #24  
tsheahr,I just read the entire thread,and I think you will be absolutely fine with the gen you want to buy. The loads you want to run are easy for the tractor and Genny.Ive ran the loads you want to run with an 8hp Honda 4400watt long run Chicago Pnematic Gen from Harbor Freight.I had to be very careful as my well drew 16 amps to start,and total output was 18 amps.However once running it drew only 6 amps.I went up to a 5500 Generac,which handled it all without manually unselecting circuits,now i use a Northern tool 10K (8500 continous) with 16HP Briggs Vanguard.This gen is about 6 yrs old,and its well built.It easily runs my whole house (within reason).I even ran my 2.5 ton A/C unit with it this summer.You will have more power in the PTO and the gen than i have now,and I dont need for any more power.I keep my voltmeter on a recepticle when im on genny power,and set the low voltage alarm to 115 volts.I set my gen at 124volts with a light load(my utility is usually 123.5).Ive never had my low voltage alarm come on.I have run on gen power for days at a time.My power comes in from an old railroad bed,which the property has been neglected on both side,theres always a tree knocking down lines or a transformer fragging after a bad T storm or a winter windstorm.
The only neg thing ill say about the PTO genny is some of the gearboxes that step up the RPM from 540 to 1800 or 3600 are very noisey.It usually isnt the volume of the noise,its the actual pitch and frequency of it can be irritating to listen to for hours on end. If you can get a heavy duty 180RPM 4 pole Gen,it will last longer in most cases,and the gearboxes are quieter than the 3600 RPM 2 pole models.

/ PTO speed stability
Thanks for the info. After reading the responses in this thread, I feel comfortable the tractor / pto gen head setup will perform fine. I suspect the 10k unit will be more than I need, but I'm a little gun shy about going small. About 12 years ago (in a different house) I bought a Home Depot Generac 5500w and got a electrician to set up a 8 circuit transfer switch. We got the unit out of the box, hooked up, and it would not start the well pump with the boiler running. The motor would bog, surge, bog, surge then one of the output breakers on the generator would pop. The electrician said the unit was not delivering its rated output, but that these cheep units rarely do. I was probably defective, but I was not convinced if I got another one of the same it would be any different. I took it back to HD and vowed if I ever got another generator it would be a quality unit with a minimum of 10kw, and it would not be gas. Prior to having a tractor, I could never justify the money for a LP unit, fuel tank and associated installation. Now I am in a situation where a reliable, high quality setup is within a somewhat reasonable budget.

Good point about 1800rpm 4 pole being quieter and more durable. The 4 pole would be ideal. However I have only seen 1800 rpm in much larger sizes at much higher cost. If it comes my way... Also interesting you were able to run your 2.5 ton AC with the 8.5kw unit. I have a similar sized AC and I was not sure I would be able to run it. Sounds like it should not be a problem to run the AC for a while with everything else off to cool the house down, the shut off the AC.

I appreciate everyone's responses. This has been very helpful.

tsheahr,I just read the entire thread,and I think you will be absolutely fine with the gen you want to buy. The loads you want to run are easy for the tractor and Genny.Ive ran the loads you want to run with an 8hp Honda 4400watt long run Chicago Pnematic Gen from Harbor Freight.I had to be very careful as my well drew 16 amps to start,and total output was 18 amps.However once running it drew only 6 amps.I went up to a 5500 Generac,which handled it all without manually unselecting circuits,now i use a Northern tool 10K (8500 continous) with 16HP Briggs Vanguard.This gen is about 6 yrs old,and its well built.It easily runs my whole house (within reason).I even ran my 2.5 ton A/C unit with it this summer.You will have more power in the PTO and the gen than i have now,and I dont need for any more power.I keep my voltmeter on a recepticle when im on genny power,and set the low voltage alarm to 115 volts.I set my gen at 124volts with a light load(my utility is usually 123.5).Ive never had my low voltage alarm come on.I have run on gen power for days at a time.My power comes in from an old railroad bed,which the property has been neglected on both side,theres always a tree knocking down lines or a transformer fragging after a bad T storm or a winter windstorm.
The only neg thing ill say about the PTO genny is some of the gearboxes that step up the RPM from 540 to 1800 or 3600 are very noisey.It usually isnt the volume of the noise,its the actual pitch and frequency of it can be irritating to listen to for hours on end. If you can get a heavy duty 180RPM 4 pole Gen,it will last longer in most cases,and the gearboxes are quieter than the 3600 RPM 2 pole models.

/ PTO speed stability #26  
85/140 gear oil helps the noise.. plus a small cage of insultion foam like rmax, or acoustic foam over just the gear box really does help the noise.

soundguy

/ PTO speed stability
Wraping the gearbox with foam is a good idea. I'll do that if the noise is a problem. Thanks for the tip!

/ PTO speed stability #28  
I wouldn't wrap it with foam.. that will make it overheat.. however a shroud with a good stand-off area for air cooling would be my choice.. kinda like a doghouse setup..

soundguy

/ PTO speed stability #29  
I think given the prices of the stuff at northern,Id build my own 1800 rpm chinese generator setup.The china built stuff is built heavy duty,with a big fan and lots of room to dissipate heat,also run at 1800rpm.They have large bearing surfaces,and the bearings are common sizes,given they turn slow,they last a long time.A 10K unit is well over 200lbs for just the generator head!A 12K approaches 275lbs! Do some research,these are heavy duty,continous full load output capable,reliable units,that are easy to get brushes and parts for.Im not sure how they would work with sensitive computer equipment,but for making 60HZ AC power,i dont think they can be beat.Couple one with an aftermarket gearbox,and driveshaft,you could probably get into a complete 10K unit for well under a grand, with the stand,shaft and everything included.heres a few I found real quick.

Heres a 540-1800 gearbox setup...GENERATOR PTO DRIVE GEAR BOX , 540 RPM To 1800 Rpm - eBay (item 160369387170 end time Nov-11-09 16:07:17 PST)

a 10K head

NEW ST 10KW GENERATOR HEAD 1 Phase Diesel/Gas Engine - eBay (item 220502729452 end time Nov-08-09 13:49:17 PST)

A 12K head

12 kw ST Generator-alternator head single (1 ) phase - eBay (item 150381641748 end time Nov-17-09 16:52:15 PST)

/ PTO speed stability #30  
I wouldn't wrap it with foam.. that will make it overheat.. however a shroud with a good stand-off area for air cooling would be my choice.. kinda like a doghouse setup..

soundguy

How about "wrapping" the gearbox with lead sheet? That is commonly used as part of high tech sound insulation in marine uses (though not directly around a gearbox). You could probably get some of the laminated foam/lead/foam sheet through a marine supplier like West Marine and build a little tunnel around the gearbox as an alternative.