PTO spreader rpm's

/ PTO spreader rpm's
Greg, thanks for your added comments. Obviously, I've never used one and thought that they, for the most part, were designed alike. None of the spreaders I have looked at are designed for powered lime. Only pelletized. I can see where there would be a big difference in the design and need for a better agitator design. As far as my "baby", I'm only going to use this for deer plots. Need a fairly large capacity for some areas and smaller for others. Something somewhat larger than one you might mount on an ATV. My "baby" would be full size for me! Bill

/ PTO spreader rpm's #12  
That's fine, glad to help. Didn't know about the deer plots though. I keyed my remarks to your opening post.

//greg//

/ PTO spreader rpm's
msb1766, I couldn't get the link to open. Do you have a specific model number? I have actually been looking for a PTO mounted battery operated spreader. Is yours cone shaped?

/ PTO spreader rpm's #15  
Sorry about the link, The model number is: DMS-3PT-12V-4.5 (5302045)
Try FIMCO Industries - The Best Built Sprayers In America. Period.
Click on Online Catalog
Then click on ATV Dry Material Spreaders
That will bring up the catalog of their dry materal spreaders in a PDF format, The 3 point Electric is on the last page
If the link does not work just Google Fimco
Yes it is coned shaped but the top is rectangular. I have spread grass seed and inssecticide with no prblems at all

http://www.fimcoindustries.com/images/catalog/12/ATV_Dry_Material_Spreaders.pdf

/ PTO spreader rpm's #16  
Matter of fact, I do. The advice I offered was basically paraphrased from the operator's manual. Run your PTO at "lo rpm" when using the agitator extension in a hopper loaded with 900# of fertilizer pellets some day. You may enjoy living in a world of "lo rpm" trial and error, but I like accuracy and consistency. At 540 rpm, I could count on the hopper chart to give me reliable spread patterns and dispersal rates.

//greg//
You are off subject. He is looking to limit throw. Flow may vary with rpm but it is consistent with consistent rpm. ie. : Delivery volume per revolution is close to constant at a given aperature.
... All you have to do to find setting is run a small known payload with lo aperature in the gear you want to travel in. Use the rpm to give you the width you want. Calculate payload per area covered. If you find its not enuf either do the path twice or open the aperatures some. Doesnt take much to get the hang of it.
larry

/ PTO spreader rpm's #17  
You are off subject.
I don't think so. But perhaps these small (300 pound) spreaders don't have the amount of adjustments that my 6 bushel did. I could set the dispersal pattern (throw) to wide/narrow/right/left/center. Flow rate was controlled by varying the aperture, dispersal rate was controlled by ground speed. All I did was decide how much material per acre I wanted to spread, consulted the chart on the hopper for spreader settings and ground speed, set the PTO at 540 revs, set ground speed, then spread till the hopper was empty.

//greg//

/ PTO spreader rpm's #18  
I don't think so. But perhaps these small (300 pound) spreaders don't have the amount of adjustments that my 6 bushel did. I could set the dispersal pattern (throw) to wide/narrow/right/left/center. Flow rate was controlled by varying the aperture, dispersal rate was controlled by ground speed. All I did was decide how much material per acre I wanted to spread, consulted the chart on the hopper for spreader settings and ground speed, set the PTO at 540 revs, set ground speed, then spread till the hopper was empty.

//greg//
I think mine is as you describe. It has two aperatures that can be set with bias toward one or the other opening wider, and throw scoops with adjustable angle. I have used mine a lot and never needed to fool with biasing the aperatures because my needs are compatible with a full symmetrical throw fan, from whatever chosen aperature setting, centrally oriented to the back. The dispersal arc is approx 150 degrees and skewed slightly to the right I think. When Im doing wide open areas I use hi rpm for a wide coverage path. In narrower areas I just slow the rpm to reduce throw, and either use same aperature setting and next higher running gear or else dont open the aperature quite as much in the same gear to keep the spread concentration fairly constant. Probably not perfect, but close ... and easy. :confused3:
larry

/ PTO spreader rpm's #19  
Greg, thanks for your added comments. Obviously, I've never used one and thought that they, for the most part, were designed alike. None of the spreaders I have looked at are designed for powered lime. Only pelletized. I can see where there would be a big difference in the design and need for a better agitator design. As far as my "baby", I'm only going to use this for deer plots. Need a fairly large capacity for some areas and smaller for others. Something somewhat larger than one you might mount on an ATV. My "baby" would be full size for me! Bill

With the added information you should consider a pendular spreader, this would be capable of adjusting the pattern width and can handle powdered materials as well.