Pto stopped, slipped out

/ Pto stopped, slipped out #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
My pto stopped while tractor was doing nothing. It’s a fine line from when the hand lever is in the “ on” position, all the way forward and when the pto might grind because it’s not engaged. I put the hand lever all the way forward in its slot on the fender. Ensured the arm its rotating coming out of the left side rear of the tractor is all the way forward and linked together with the pin. But if you remove the pin, and haul back on the arm on the side of the tractor by hand, you can move it into what feels like a detent position.

Of course if I adjust the linkage to match when it’s all the way back into this detent position, then I naw most likely will not get into the “ on position”. Or the hand lever all the way forward.

The difference from engaged to slipping is the thickness of paper on the hand lever on the fender. I action know by feel if it’s gonna slip or not before letting my clutch back out. I’d post a video or send if o could but this only likes photos

/ Pto stopped, slipped out #2  
The parts list shows a slotted tin plate the handle fits though. Can you remove that plate and gain some stroke with the lever? That might show you something. Maybe the fender still limits the travel, I can't say.

It also shows a roll pin through two parts that apparently fit through the center housing. All that looks to be on the outside. You might look at that and try to confirm the pin hasn't sheared and the two parts are now out of alignment.

Kind of sounds like it's been on the verge of being out of alignment somewhere for a long time.

/ Pto stopped, slipped out
Funny you say that as I feel like if fender groove was longer. I purchased the little tractor for my mother over 12 years ago. She passed away just two years later. Due to family feuding I lived elsewhere and the tractor stayed home. However my brother and some of his crooked used the tractor without my consent. Can’t say how it was treated. But I went out and got it, but had no where to store it so it stayed outside for quite some time. It now sits comfortably in a garage every night for the last several years. But it’s the last few years where it’s being used again. I need it it now for snowblowing. So the pto for most of its life wasn’t used. It has about 600 hours or less on it. And I’m like an old granny on it. But it doesn’t matter what I’m like on it now. It’s what it was treated like before I retrieved it. That said. I know they did not use the pto. Just can’t said if the fenders were moved or not. I’ll look in half an hour to look at the plate. I assumed it was made/cut right in the fender. I did run it up just 15 minutes ago. Pto running ok, turned pto off. With lever in “ on”. I can’t turn it backwards at all. In “ off” I can’t spin it both ways.

/ Pto stopped, slipped out #4  
I'm not suggesting the hole or the fender moved, merely that something in all that linkage may have changed. What I see in the diagram looks like the panel with the slot offers very little extra on the length of the slot. If you had more travel on the lever, then things down below may work better.

I left and completely forgot to look. But earlier I took a video and just snapped a screenshot of it. I see the plate has some adjustment. Not sure if it will work as I think the full stroke of the hand lever is too much for the slot in the black sheet metal that’s held there with those two screws. But I’d be tickled if that’s all it was. It’s 20 miles from here, I’ll be back in the morning. I was trying to free up a zerk but just can’t clear it. It’s the pin not the zerk. I tried the grease buster with a hammer and diesel, and even put liquid wrench in it and tried tapping that in it. I took the zerk out and struck the straw in the pin and sprayed liquid wrench in there. Not go. I lifted the front wheels off the floor and moved walking beam up and down. Nothing. Zerk is now leaking around the fitting so I may have the zerk messed up now. Or the new tip in the grease gun. I can’t pick up a grease gun with make one holy mess.
8C32EE95-E1AB-4AA2-9141-BBA22B289C8E.jpeg

I did look at the linkage. It seemed ok. But one pin point is little loose. And where the arms come out of tractor. Those could of been oiled for free play more.

Seems the black adjustable plate is mostly to position the limit switches on the pto to prevent tractor starting. I just put a winch on and engaged lever few times. All good. Except once. It didn’t come on. No grinding either