PTO Stump Grinder

/ PTO Stump Grinder #11  
I know this thread is quite old. I just found it, as I was searching for any input on Steiner Stump Cutters. I just bought one (cheap) from a Golf Course, sight unseen and am waiting to get it. I disagree on staying away from municipal equipment in favour of private. Governments love throwing away our money and will change parts in something they are getting rid of next week. They have departments that do only that! Not sure about Golf Courses, as I have never bought any of their used stuff. I know someone that bought a Steiner from a Course and it was A-1.

I have a Vermeer 650B, I believe, and it is a monster. Will do a six foot stump. Has a Wisconsin 60 some odd horse, 4 cylinder gaser. Came from a City Parks dept. and it's perfect. I just hate anything with a gas engine in it. I have a ton of old Elm stumps to grind and when they are done, will sell the Vermeer, to make room in my shed, and hopefuly the Steiner will work for the odd stump. That's my plan anyway.

As far as stumps rotting. Goes back to my observations of life. I have a very negative religeous name for it, which I won't go into, but basically it works like this. If you want something like an orfice to spray liquid, it will get plugged, but if you want something not to leak, the holes will only get bigger, not plug up. And with stumps, if you are using a stump for something like a table or fence post, it will rot in no time, and the other stumps that wreck your mowers, will stay like iron forever!