PTO Switch

/ PTO Switch #1  

TexasBoy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HDC12, L4600DT, Ford 4000
The PTO engage switch broke on my L4600, and after a few calls found out that Kubota wants your first-born and a kidney to replace that flimsy piece of plastic junk ($170 bucks or so), so Im looking at putting something else in its place. After a bit of inspection it appears to be a simple switch with Normally Closed & Normally Open connections. The NO is the PTO engage and the NC appears to be a starter relay. When the PTO is getting voltage the relay is not getting power and wont let you start the machine.

Anyone have any luck putting in an alternative? Its still early in my research, but thinking of using something along these lines?

AYW41-R - IDEC - Emergency Stop Switch, SPST-NC, Push-Pull, Screw, 1 A, 6 V, 22 V | Newark element14

Anyone else do something different?

/ PTO Switch #2  
Firewall blocks your link. Are you looking for the simplest alternative or do you want something similar? The advantage of the OEM switch is that it can't be easily switched on unintentionally but it can be shutoff very quickly and easily. Something as simple as a DPDT toggle switch would probably work but then it could be easily switched on unintentionally. Maybe a toggle switch with a cover like they use in race cars would provide a similar benefit. I believe you have to lift the cover to turn them on, then the cover rests on the switch but when you press down on the cover the switch turns off. That might not be the way they work but I seem to remember some sort of toggle switch working like that.

I see from the description of your link that it is a SPST switch, so basically just a basic on/off switch and from your description of how the OEM switch works it's not going to work. You'll need at a minimum a SPDT switch, that's if there's 3 wires. If there's 4 wires you'll need a DPDT switch.

/ PTO Switch
I see from the description of your link that it is a SPST switch, so basically just a basic on/off switch and from your description of how the OEM switch works it's not going to work. You'll need at a minimum a SPDT switch, that's if there's 3 wires. If there's 4 wires you'll need a DPDT switch.

That was the wrong link sorry, and certainly any replacement will have to have NO & NC on the same device. This PDF has many different options and Im still looking around.

http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1728527.pdf

Kubota has flat lost their minds if they think Im gonna pay them $170 bucks for a simple switch. I mean, this thing is the flimsiest POS you could ever make. I wouldnt use something that cheap on a throw away kid toy much less a utility tractor.

/ PTO Switch #4  
You don't necessarily need something the specifies NO & NC. A switch that is double throw (DT) will work based on your description of how the OEM switch works. If it's a toggle or rocker one position completes the PTO circuit, the other position completes the starting circuit (you'll want to make sure it doesn't have an "off" position in the middle though). If it's a 3 wire connection (one power wire that feeds either circuit) a SPDT with 3 contacts will work. If it's four wires (2 wires for each circuit) a DPDT switch with 6 contacts will work. Based on the attached picture you would wire one circuit to 1&3 and the other to 4&6 (or 2&4 and 3&5).
DPDT-toggle-switch-diagram.png

The reason I say all of this is because personally I would use a switch like this:Amazon.com: 3 Amp Toggle Switch DPDT On-On: Automotive
With a cover like this:Amazon.com: Battery Doctor 2565 Red Aircraft Style Toggle Switch Cover: Automotive

That way, like I mentioned in my first post, you still have similar safeguards as the OEM switch (which I think is very important to incorporate) as shown in this video:aircraft style switch - YouTube