PTO tiller advice.

/ PTO tiller advice. #1  

Smok

Tractor
New Holland TN65
I have a New Holland TN65 that i think has 55 hp PTO with 65 hp on the tractor engine. I am wanting to buy a heavy duty 6 ft. tiller for it. I have just started reading old threads about this subject here on TBN and have already got alot of good information but i would like to hear advice anyone might have about tillers so that i hopefully can purchase a good quailty built tiller. For me it is hard to find what i am looking for because in todays market the way some manufactures advertise their products they seem to be misleading as to where their products and the parts that are used in the manufacture of them are made at. That is just my point of veiw or the way i see it.

Myself i have not had very good luck with china made products and do not wish to purchaces a tiller that has any parts used in the construction of the tiller that i end up purchasing. So i guess what i am looking for is to see if there are any brands of tillers made strictly here in the U.S. with all U.S. made componets ? And does anyone know if Khun tillers are built in Italy with all Italin made componets. My tractor and all of its componets as far as i know was made in Italy with all Italin made componets and i am happy with the quailty of it. So if Khun products are made with all Italin made componets and in Italy then i think i would be happy with their products.

For me in todays market there are so many products that were once manufactured here in the U. S. under names that once meant quailty. That you knew just by the name brand was quailty built that is now being sold under thoes same name brands that are no longer the quality that they once were because they are being put together with poor quailty materials and craftmenship. But again this is just my opinion and i can not do nothing about that. But i still can and will decide where i spend my hard earned dollars at.

/ PTO tiller advice. #2  
New to it- caroni- Italian I think. The rest from what I read are all Chinese, or the gear box is chinese and the steel frame is fabricated here in the US (King Kutter, Countyline, etc.) Good luck. I just bought a 5' Agri Supply chinese tiller that looks pretty rugged. I figured if I was buying chinese anyway, I'd save some money. Tillovator-Rotary Tiller | Agri Supply #77710 Goodluck. View attachment 416835

Last edited:
   / PTO tiller advice. #4  
Kongskilde now owns Howard which made heavy duty tillers in England. The first one of this manufacture that I saw was up in Michigan. 12 foot wide tilling up Christmas tree stumps. I bought a older selectatilth 6 ft howard and have used it to do 10 acre hay fields. Running a 64 hp White field boss. Sorry no help on anything new.

/ PTO tiller advice. #5  
   / PTO tiller advice. #7  
Ditto on the Woods Tillers.
I've used mine for 12 years, no issues what so ever. Running a 6' tiller on a 45HP tractor in heavy soil.

/ PTO tiller advice. #8  
Kongskilde now owns Howard which made heavy duty tillers in England. The first one of this manufacture that I saw was up in Michigan. 12 foot wide tilling up Christmas tree stumps. I bought a older selectatilth 6 ft howard and have used it to do 10 acre hay fields. Running a 64 hp White field boss. Sorry no help on anything new.

Actually, they were a German company that made most of the tillers in France, then Poland, where I believe they still are made...

They are still good tillers, it's just that that have poor support these days... I still have three of them...

TODAY, if "I" was going to buy a HD tiller, I'd but a Kuhn!! It's MUCH tougher than a Woods, Bush Hog or Land Pride!!

I'd also look at the HD models of Maschio, my friend sells them and he says they have been good tillers for him, AS LONG as you size the tiller right!

For HD use, a 6' tiller IS the right size for a 55pto hp tractor, I'd just make sure the tiller is rated for 70hp plus...

I have to say though, my Howards have been EXCELLENT tillers for me! It would be my number one pick IF their service had not went into the dumper!

SR

/ PTO tiller advice. #9  
Good luck with YASFPWNCC - - yet another search for product with no Chinese Components.
When it gets down to it you will find Chinese BEARINGS in just about everything that is claimed to be MITUSA - - made in the...

I have a 6 ft King Kutter that I bought it at tractor supply, I don't know and don't care about its origin.
It is forward rotating, or as a machinist might say it "climb mills".
Good point, it climbs over rocks and roots that it can't kick up, it doesn't hook under them and stall or self destruct.
Poor point, it doesn't dig as thoroughly as a reverse rotating tiller, those DO hook under rocks and roots.

I have broken ground on a few community gardens, it has stalled when jammed with rocks, it has even stalled the tractor when the slip clutch failed to slip.
It hasn't broken, or even bent a tine.

A key point may be whether you are breaking new ground or merely turning over previously worked ground.
For previously worked soil - reverse rotation will do very well in one pass.
For breaking new ground (assuming you don't have a plow) forward rotation will bump over the NASTY stuff, you need more than one pass on fresh ground anyway, plus some hand digging or maybe back hoe help.

I'm in the rock haven known as New England, there is soil... somewhere.

If I could have bought one with a reverse gear at a comparable price I would have.

/ PTO tiller advice.
I want to thank all of you for your input & advice. That has given me more to think about. I just wonder how many years back i would have to go buying used to find a tiller that did not have any chinese componets in it when it was built ? I have talked to salesmen at dealer ships and know alot of times that what they are telling me are just out and out lies to make a sale. It is a crying shame that buying merchandise of any kind has come to this anymore. There was a time where you go buy a peace of equipment just by the products name and reputation alone and know you were buying a quality peace of machinery. But you can not do that now. Thoes same companys that you once could trust are saling poor quaility merchandise for top dollar knowing what they are doing.