PTO Wobbles

/ PTO Wobbles #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I noticed this weekend that my PTO slightly wobbles. I recently bought the tractor and I haven't used the PTO yet. I didn't really realize the wobble until I added the PTO override clutch. It adds to the length and makes the wobble a little greater. It is not a major wobble, but noticeable. Obviously my PTO shaft is bent slightly. Is this something to be concerned about or is a slight bend not a big deal.

/ PTO Wobbles #2  
It is probably in the over-ride unit? Most those things are made out of country. Mind run true until I installed one. It's been on for 15 yrs now, with no problems. I guess if it's really bad I would ask the dealer for a different one. But that's the nice thing about 8N's nothing has to be right-on.

/ PTO Wobbles #3  
If the tractors pto stub itself wobbles ( not the orc ) then I doubt it is bent.. but rather has bearings that are going. Witht he tractor off.. grab the pto shaft and see what kind of movement it has.

While you can replave the bearings and seal on the shaft, it is a bit of work. It is much easier to simply replace the whole pto shaft bearings and seals as a unit. The unit costs 99 bucks, and is a slide in / slide out replacement. Just remove the 4 bolts at the rear bearing carrier.. slide old one out.. new one in. Park the tractor nose down in a ditch and you don't even need to drain the tranny oil.

Soundguy