PTO won't engage 1735M

/ PTO won't engage 1735M #1  

pattycake

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1735m
I have a 1735M tractor with less than 30 hours on it and cannot get the PTO to engage.

Does something have to be connected before it will engage?
I might not have the shaft of my brush hog fully engaged so maybe that's the problem?

Is there a trick to getting that shaft on? Old fart having a heck of a time getting it hooked up especially in this south texas 100 degree heat.

Both tractor and brush hog are new.

-pat-
UPDATE: never mind... I am an idiot - New tractor, new owner - I forgot about the lever on left side of drivers seat - neutral or 540 for the PTO

Last edited:
   / PTO won't engage 1735M #2  
You need nothing connected for the PTO to engage. With nothing connected it should engage and go round and round. You may need to depress the clutch to engage it. If things don't align you may need to move things a bit to get things to align but it should engage. The tractor may have various safety controls preventing its use. Check the operator's manual.

/ PTO won't engage 1735M
never mind... I am an idiot - New tractor, new owner - I forgot about the lever on left side of drivers seat - neutral or 540 for the PTO

Still having a hard time getting it all the way on the shaft

/ PTO won't engage 1735M #4  
Sometimes just writing or talking out loud leads to solutions. Glad you fixed your problem so easy.

/ PTO won't engage 1735M #5  
Pattycake, I sprayed all the collars on my implements with lubricant so they would unlock and slide on easier. Lining up the teeth can sometimes be a pain in the a*s.

/ PTO won't engage 1735M #6  
never mind... I am an idiot - New tractor, new owner - I forgot about the lever on left side of drivers seat - neutral or 540 for the PTO

Still having a hard time getting it all the way on the shaft

Putting the pto to neutral allow you to spin it by hand therefore makes it easier to line up the shaft.

I broke a shaft shear bolt on my snowblower last winter.
Put pto to neutral to go out change the bolt. I went to engage pto after I was done nothing happened... Took me about 10 mins searching what was wrong before I realize I had it in neutral... I told myself I was an idiot too this time. No big deal !

/ PTO won't engage 1735M #7  
AND.... I some times bump the PTO lever out of neutral with nothing attached and wonder why tractor wont start....

Dale