Chipper PTO Wood Chipper Question

/ PTO Wood Chipper Question #11  
"The thing I most like about the two stage is that you can control the feed speed with an adjustable flow valve and you can stop and reverse the feed drum with the "crash bar" feed control lever which surrounds the top and sides of the wide end of the feed chute."

I would like to have a hydraulic feed on my BX42 for the same reason, but it is a pretty expensive option. It is kind of hard to grab and hold a branch once that thing starts chipping it...

As for the OP question: My 2520 has 21.5 hp at the PTO and I was able to kill the engine with a 4 inch piece of old hard wood. It will handle softer stuff that size, but it is pushing the limit.

I have run old 4x4 cedar fence posts through there with no problem.

/ PTO Wood Chipper Question #12  
Wallenstein BX 42 on my Kubota L2800 has worked great. Handles anything that fits. Primarily using it for Mesquite. Bought mine from New Holland Abilene TX. Great service. Highly recommend

/ PTO Wood Chipper Question #13  
Hello, have a Kubota BX25...thinking of adding a Wallenstein PTO chipper. Have been told either a BX32 or BX42 model will work although tractor having17 hp @ PTO might cause BX42 to have trouble with 4" logs. Anyone have experience with this tractor and or chipper brand. Recommendations appreciated and pricing info too !

I have a BX42 on my BX24. Works great. 4" green softwood can be chipped. I usually cut the lengths down so only a 3-4' log is placed in the chipper.

/ PTO Wood Chipper Question #14  
I probably have 20 hours on my BX42 chipper (mostly jackpine) and it has worked flawlessly. As you use it, you learn how to avoid problems and things that slow you down.

/ PTO Wood Chipper Question #15  
Go to the Wallenstein website and get their tech phone number (Canada) and give them a call. I found them very helpful on a similar selection issue that I had.

Last edited:
   / PTO Wood Chipper Question #16  

Attachments

• chipper 10.JPG
    chipper 10.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,083
   / PTO Wood Chipper Question #17  
I have a 42 on my 24 and it works just fine. You might want to put something in the FEL to counter the weight, but no problem with the chipper. Can you choke the tractor? Sure, but why do it more than once? Just feed big stuff slowly and life is good.

/ PTO Wood Chipper Question #19  
I was wondeing if anyone had to cut the pto shaft on the bx42 chipper when using it with the smaller subcompacts? I have a cub sc2400 and I noticed in the manual it shows cutting the pto shaft. I also read about using a quich-attach that provided a little more length to help with binding.

Last edited:
   / PTO Wood Chipper Question #20  
I have had a Wallenstein BX42s, since end of January 2012. Purchased it from Iowa Farm Equipment via eBay for $2599 plus $335 freight to Florida. Ordered it on eBay before Noon, it was on a truck heading for Florida at 2:00 PM same day.

Wallenstein has an excellent reputation. I have been pleased with mine.
PTO direct drive, NO hydraulic feed // NO hydraulic fluid. I am a firm believer in the KISS principal.....Keep It Simple, Stupid. The BX42s is a KISS implement.

I run mine behind a Kubota B3300SU; 33 engine hp / 25 PTO hp. It chips all the green wood I feed it in Florida. Personally, I amputate roots with V28 battery powered Sawzall before feeding in trunks. Dirt will dull the blades so I avoid it by cutting off the roots. I also do not try to make the chipper into a shredder. When the trunk chips down to the twigs I toss those twig bits onto the pile of roots and the combination goes to the burn pile. Straight trunks, without roots feed easily so your arms take less pounding from vibration. My arms are 64 years old.

Kubota B3300SU manual recommends 500 pounds weight on the three point hitch when using the bucket. This is not essential in Florida with our rock-free sandy loam...even a full bucket is easy to transport with nothing on the back. However, when carrying heavy sections of Water Oak trunks (12"-30" in diameter) chained to the bucket a counter-weight on the back is essential. The BX42s weights 425 pounds....just about right.

I recommend getting a dolly to rest your chipper on between uses. It is a real bugger mounting any implement on the three point when the implements rests directly on a floor. The castered Vistil dolly I bought, also on eBay, 1,200 pound capacity, eliminates 90% of my bad language.

One last thought: The BX32 has a V-belt between the PTO shaft and the chipper drum, used to speed up the rotor on the BX32, Wallenstein's smallest chipper. The BX42, BX62 and BX92 are all DIRECT PTO drive; NO V-belts. I hate V-belts.

Last edited: