PT's for the mechanically challenged (again)

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #11  
Re: PT\'s for the mechanically challenged (again)

"" don't own every tool known to man ""

About all you need are: a socket set, a few open end wrenches, and a telephone to call Power Trac for instructions!!

"" about 10-11 feet to swing into the door ""

The PT-425 will make a U turn inside my 2-car garage!!

"" leaning towards the light material ""

Get the Grapple Bucket!!

e_Left_Front_Canopy_a_.jpg

"" food for thought ""

Stop chewing it over! Bite the bullet, and buy the PT-425!!

PS: These are rugged, high quality machines that should seldom require much more than normal maintenance!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again)

Thanks Fourteen. I think that is exactly what I need is a kick in the pants to quit worrying about it and just buy one. And I just happen to own all the tools you listed. Does the upper 'jaw' detach from the grapple bucket for just moving dirt or gravel around? The grapple feature would be darned handy for some things, but I am wondering if it would just get in the way for most of my uses. Man, I sure could have used it when I was clearing our building site by hand, and cutting down 21 large oak trees with my trusty chain saw. Oh well, it was good therapy and I was in no hurry.

You know what you need to do for your next customizing job on your 425? You should add a pair of those open shark's mouths on the sides of your bucket like they used to paint on the P-51s in WW II. That would look awesome with your white bucket teeth.

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #13  

I've got a 14-year old PT-1418, and it's still running strong. With this age, the problems I've had to address have been 1) hoses needing to be replaced (not difficult, but they are hard to get a wrench on sometimes), 2) leaks in the hydraulic motors or cylinders...I had to replace one of the wheel motors, and 3) electrical short with the engine (which I pretty much caused myself)....that one required a trip to a local hydraulic equipment repair shop.

Do you have anywhere locally that sells, rents, and/or repairs Toro Dingo's (or Kanga Loaders or any of the other work-alikes, or even smaller skid steer loaders)? If so, that kind of shop should be able to easily handle any repairs to a Power-trac. PT's are much more mechanically similar to a skid-steer or a Toro Dingo than they are to a conventional CUT. Conceptually, they are very simple...an engine turns two hydraulic pumps, which pump fluid through an open circuit back to the tank. When you move a valve or the treadle, that essentially diverts the pressurized hydraulic oil into/out of a cylinder or wheel motor to actually do work.

One thing mentioned above that I'd like to second...even though you may have a Robin engine repair shop local, don't assume that they 1) know enough about hydraulics that they're willing to work on something that they're unfamiliar with, and 2) they are equiped to be able to pull the engine out if necessary. Ask them about these two things...my old machine has a Briggs and Stratton 18hp engine and there's plenty of B&S service centers in my area, but most of them only work on the smaller lawnmower engines, etc. One shop had a person who was certifed on the larger twin cylinder engines, but they didn't have room in their shop for a PT. One of the other shops said "Hydraulics? We ain't go nobody that knows how to work on no hydraulics." Alrighty then...a local shop that rents and sells Toro Dingo's did an engine repair on mine (which required pulling the engine out), and I found a big equipment seller and repairer who is actually more economically priced than this smaller shop (they had the best price on rebuilding or replacing the wheel motor that I had to replace...and that even includes Internet sources of this particular wheel motor...I was quite pleasantly surprised...they work on some huge equipment and I just expected that they would be ridiculously expensive. I took the wheel motor out myself and took it to them).

When I got this machine, I knew absolutely nothing about hydraulics (and still don't know nearly enough about small engines). But, like I said above, it's conceptually pretty simple (although looking at the tangle of hoses in the engine compartment can be quite intimidating!). That said, with a new machine, the most challenging thing that I'd expect you to have to do for several years (barring some mfg problem like the Robin ignition coil from earlier posts) is to change the hydraulic oil filter. You have to bleed the hydrostatic drive pump, but it's a pretty simple process (put the new filter on, unplug spark plug wires, hook a hose to a bleed port on the pump and put the free end in the hydraulic tank, crank the engine until you don't see any air bubbles, then take the hose off, and hook the spark plug wires back up...done!)

Just as an observation, I think the smaller Power-tracs are going to REALLY introduce some competition to some of the lawn tractor manufacturer's as they become more well-known and popular. I think Power-trac has found a pretty substantial niche...

HTH,
Dave

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #14  

"" Does the upper 'jaw' detach from the grapple bucket for just moving dirt or gravel around? ""

No, but when the Grapple is fully open the Fangs are not at all in the way!!

Grapple_TBN.jpg

When you encounter a rock or root while digging, you can easily grab it and remove it!

The included Rock Teeth, which are removable, bite into hardpack much better than the straight edge. They also perform a raking action when pulled in reverse.

Although the LM Bucket is rated to have twice the volume, I seldom actually get more dirt or gravel picked up!! I usually get the Grapple Bucket full or the LM Bucket about 1/2 or 2/3 full!

Remember, when you buy the Grapple, you get a HD Bucket and a set of Rock Teeth for free!! For me, the Grapple Bucket is the most useful and versatile attachment to own!!

More painting will have to wait for nasty weather! Right now I'm too busy using it!!

After a few hours of seat time I'm sure you will say: "What the H*** was I waiting for!!??!!"!!

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Fourteen. Didn't realize just how far the jaws opened. Very impressive picture too. That is one scary looking beast in that pose.

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #16  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( One thing mentioned above that I'd like to second...even though you may have a Robin engine repair shop local, don't assume that they 1) know enough about hydraulics that they're willing to work on something that they're unfamiliar with, and 2) they are equiped to be able to pull the engine out if necessary. )</font>

I'm with Dave on this one. When our PT-425's Kohler bent a pushrod, it became painfully evident that not too many small engine repair places are equipped to pull an engine out of a PT. Some can't even get one in the door.

I'm not kidding here. One place had wooden ramps that looked like a termite factory, another had 45 degree ramps, and a couple simply couldn't fit it inside the building. To quote one repair shop receptionist after being shown a picture, "My God; it's a tractor!"

Getting some 1200 lbs of dead PT inside a small shop--it's not an easy thing to do. I ended up pulling the engine, and taking it to the shop.

It is also likely that the engine manufacturer will not pay the full cost of removal from the PT. They generally have fixed allowances for removal which they will not pay in excess of. Taking an engine out of a PT tends to be much more complicated than pulling one out of a lawn mower.

SnowRidge

Thanks a lot Dave and Snowridge. Just when I almost had the nerve up to take the plunge, you guys are scaring me all over again. Seriously though, I appreciate the advice, and it is definitely food for thought. Sounds like the engine removal and reinstallation were not exactly simple jobs.

I am waiting for PT to get back to me with info about PT owners nearby. I hope to at least be able to look at one before deciding. In the meantime, I will drop by the local repair shop with a brochure and see what they say. The good news is that all this indecision is not costing me more money again (so far). According to Christie at PT, the prices should remain the same in the short term.

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #18  

<font color="blue">( Thanks a lot Dave and Snowridge. Just when I almost had the nerve up to take the plunge, you guys are scaring me all over again. Seriously though, I appreciate the advice, and it is definitely food for thought. Sounds like the engine removal and reinstallation were not exactly simple jobs. )</font>

I personally don't want to discourage anyone, but I do think that potential buyers should have realistic expectations. Getting 'engine alone' warranty service is not necessarily simple. In some cases it may turn out to be simple--in others it may be problematic.

Removal and reinstallation aren't all that difficult, although there are a couple of spots that take some grunt work. Of course, the different versions of the different PT models may be easier or harder to work on than mine. A dead PT-425 can be horsed around by one person on a hard flat service once the pump is bypassed and the steering rams are disconnected. The bigger models would pose more of a problem, and at some size point would be unmanageable without extra hands or power assistance.

As long as a potential buyer is a half way decent mechanic (or can call on one), and goes into the purchase with open eyes, I don't see a problem.

SnowRidge

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #19  

Well, don't let us scare you. It's just better to make a fully educated decision. With any other tractor, you can have the same problems. With a tractor from a local dealer, they might come out and pick it up, fix it, then bring it back to you. However, I doubt this service is free, even if the tractor is under warranty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...I'd imagine it depends on the specific dealer and if they're willing to pickup/deliver for free (which is probably a function of how much money they made off of your purchase and how much expense is covered under the mfg's warranty). That considered, you probably come out about the same money-wise...it's just your responsbility to find a local shop who can do the necessary service rather than having a default dealer to engage.

The good news is that you probably have a few to choose from, whereas in the other case, you'd probably only have one dealer to choose from (which equates to "take it or leave it"... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

HTH,
Dave

/ PT's for the mechanically challenged (again) #20  

Dave,
It does depend on the dealer. My boss has a tractor and the dealer is pretty far away, but they will come out and do the warranty maintenance free of charge. They will also pick up and drop off for free under warranty and are said to be very reasonably priced for non-warranty work. An outstanding dealer. We also have a dealer of the same brand that is, in my opinion, a lazy slug. That just goes with about everything and anything that you buy regardless of brand. There are good dealers, bad dealers and a lot in between. The good ones seem to stay in business for a reason... customer loyalty.