Pucker factor alert

/ Pucker factor alert #21  
I try to always use the "hand on the FEL control" method.

I'm quickly getting to where I won't move anything with the FEL unless I have the box blade or tiller on the rear. It just isn't worth the risk of tipping.

Things happen very quickly--I came too close to injuring my daughter as she was placing a 2x12 under the jack wheel of my trailer--I was trying to lift too much and was only going to lift it enough to pull the trailer a few feet. Scared me enough I learned a life lesson...................

Ron

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think we owe you a bit of thanks for this post.
It makes us all think for a bit. Maybe next time someone else will
think a little bit more when crossing that slope. )</font>

This is exactly why I posted the story and pictures. Even those things you think are safe can go wrong in a hurry!

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I usually just turn the 2 wheels opposite the front guide wheel back to normal and drag it to where I want it.....manual labor /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.)</font>

It would have been a long drag over some bumpy terrain, not much fun at all! And while the deck was suspended it made it very easy to change blades and check the spindles for grease.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also to help in clearance, I usually will raise the front wheels some with the FEL when taking the MMM off.......duh! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

I do this too, but only once the "crawling under" parts are done. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "I guess I had that coming... "

Please don't take offense...that was a generalized comment for the forum, not directed toward you or anyone else... )</font>

No offense taken... but if the shoe fits... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Pucker factor alert
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Bob whenever I use the FEL to lift any load I only lift as far a necessary to clear the ground. I also keep one hand on the joystick when in forward or reverse motion. )</font>

Luckily I was doing that or I might really have gone over! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Pucker factor alert #26  
Although I am new to your forum as a commercial pilot, weight and balance is critical factor in aircraft ie. nose or tail heavy the same thing can be said for your tractor couldn't help but notice (Re your photo) That was a lot of metal you had hanging at a distance as great as the total length of your tractor, hence the moment had shifted way beyond your normal CG limit!!!
Glad you are none the worse for your experience and it is a good reminder to us all.

My solution to getting myself in the same position was to use My new B7510 FEL/BH just as you see it and it appears very well balanced and cut grass with my TG1860
Dean

Attachments

• 471408-Kubota B7510 30 Jul 04 023 (Small).jpg
    471408-Kubota B7510 30 Jul 04 023 (Small).jpg
    79 KB · Views: 162
   / Pucker factor alert #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( weight and balance is critical factor in aircraft )</font>

I think everyone knows weight and balance are important in aircraft, but I suspect most do not realize just how critical it can be, especially in a small plane. About 20 years ago, one of my brothers and I flew a new Cessna 152 from the factory in Wichita to Anchorage. We took 4 days to do it and just had a ball. Now we each had a suitcase and each had a briefcase in addition to the suitcase with the survival gear. So we weighed everything and figured we were only overweight until we burned off half our fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Of course, we put the baggage behind the seats, with all of it pulled as far forward as possible against the backs of the seat. At one point, I had the controls and my brother decided to try to stretch (not much room in a 152), so he pushed himself as high in the seat as he could, then stretched by leaning back over the top of the seat and the airplane tried to stand on its tail! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Talk about a pucker factor as I shoved the yoke forward. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Pucker factor alert #28  
Well understood.
Spent 14 years in Alaska prior to retireing to OK.
My personal Airplane while there Cessna 170B on EDO 2000 floats and yours trully!
Dean
myfriend.jpg

/ Pucker factor alert #29  
Sounds like something that I did today. Except I had a load of 3/4 stone in my bucket, a 6' grader blade on the 3pth and almost lost it on a minor downhill slanted slope. My buddy's eyes almost popped out of his head as my left rear wheel went airborne. He thought that I was going for a ride. A quick drop of the bucket cured my wheel lift. I will be filling my rear tires soon I hope. I don't like going airborne. I usually push my mower deck around with the loader when it is off. I have in the past pulled it with nylon lifting straps using the 3pth.

/ Pucker factor alert #30  
Nice lookin' plane. I'm sure that was lots of fun. I've only been in a float plane once; in fact, on that same trip. After we got to Anchorage, we went fishing one day in a 210 on floats.