pull behind discs

/ pull behind discs
thanks for all of the information! What are some quality companies that produce trailer discs?

/ pull behind discs #22  
I think there maybe some confusion of the definition of a pull type disc. The pull type discs I see have a set of wheels raised by hydraulic cylinder. There are some very old type pull discs that had no wheels. FWJ are you refering to the type with no wheels?
Discs (wheeled) in the farming world are not near as common anymore. Very good 21' discs with 22" blades and hydraulic wings can be bought for $2-3K. Pull type discs are larger, have more wt and cover more width. 3 pt discs just are too heavy with too much wt far back to be practical for larger tractors. Not sure if I have ever seen a 3 pt bigger than 10'. A wide 3pt large disc would require a lot of front end wt. Weight that doesn't help much but cause compaction when the 3pt is lowered. Much more no till farming today and in my area I don't see a disc in the field very often. A disc will actually increase compaction due to the wt of the tractor going back and forth over the field. Vertical tillage implements are now kind of fashionable in farming. They look like a disc but the discs are more vertical rather than angled like a disc. They can go deep and take a realativley lot of hp even if 18-21' wide.
A pull type disc is much easier to make turns and can follow the land coutour better if have ditches, terraces etc.
FWJ, there is no waste of land on the ends with a pull type, wheel disc. When finished discing, the turn around areas are disced last with pull type. Same as you would do with a 3 pt disc.

The subject matter of the previous debate was with the old type non-wheeled disc's. The other gentleman (wolc123) seems to think those are better than a transport disc. I have a couple like you're referring to. They work quite well. He's the one with the idea that it's better to leave a wide unworked strip around the lands to turn on. I agree with what you have to say for the most part. I used my wheel disc's to farm with for quite a few years.

Last edited:
   / pull behind discs #23  
That's just like comparing an average sized Kentucky Farm to One in Montana or Alberta.:D

Most of them would have trouble turning their equipment around on a Kentucky Farm.:D

Wow..... Really poor operators in Alberta, huh??

/ pull behind discs #24  
I am curious what kind of 8' disc can be pulled by a 20 hp tractor? We have a ~15 footer that no 40 horse is going to pull, but maybe it isn't a good comparison.

/ pull behind discs #25  
I am curious what kind of 8' disc can be pulled by a 20 hp tractor? We have a ~15 footer that no 40 horse is going to pull, but maybe it isn't a good comparison.

So long as it isn't getting any ground penetration, that little tractor might pull it. I'm like you though....20 hp wouldn't even move an 8'er if it were actually IN THE GROUND! I've seen 35 to 40 hp tractors bog down and quit with an 8'er in plowed ground.

Now, if you have an 8' disc with blades worn past service limits, you're discing hard ground where there's virtually no penetration, and that little tractor is a 4wd weighted down to 5,000 or 6,000lbs, 20 hp might pull it at 1 or 2mph.....;) But then, you aren't really "discing", but just going through the motions

/ pull behind discs #26  
So long as it isn't getting any ground penetration, that little tractor might pull it. I'm like you though....20 hp wouldn't even move an 8'er if it were actually IN THE GROUND! I've seen 35 to 40 hp tractors bog down and quit with an 8'er in plowed ground.

Now, if you have an 8' disc with blades worn past service limits, you're discing hard ground where there's virtually no penetration, and that little tractor is a 4wd weighted down to 5,000 or 6,000lbs, 20 hp might pull it at 1 or 2mph.....;) But then, you aren't really "discing", but just going through the motions

I guess that was what I was kind of thinking.

/ pull behind discs #27  
Wow..... Really poor operators in Alberta, huh??

That might be true. Must be why them folks on larger acreage's have GPS systems doing the driving while they have coffee and watch the news in climate controlled spaces!:D

/ pull behind discs #28  
I pull an 8' 3PT disc behind my 50 HP 2WD. If the ground is not real sandy I can do pretty good. In some of the places I plow the soil is mostly sand in areas and if I have it down to the axles it will stop me if I don't pick it up. Tractor has plenty of power but it will just spin the tires. Have a much older Ford 4000, 52 HP, with larger tires and it will pull it through with out much spinning. I agree with the last several posts.

/ pull behind discs #29  
The subject matter of the previous debate was with the old type non-wheeled disc's. The other gentleman (wolc123) seems to think those are better than a transport disc. I have a couple like you're referring to. They work quite well. He's the one with the idea that it's better to leave a wide unworked strip around the lands to turn on. I agree with what you have to say for the most part. I used my wheel disc's to farm with for quite a few years.

I agree with your earlier discussion. I can't figure out why anyone would want a nonwheeled disc, other than price.

/ pull behind discs #30  
I agree with your earlier discussion. I can't figure out why anyone would want a nonwheeled disc, other than price.

Price has a lot to do with it,:eek: but they still are not cheap if you re-build them as we have. My brother and I have 120 acres, all adjoining. No need to transport over any paved roads, cross a few dirt roads with the disks once in a while, no big deal, just put the disks in their straight transport position. Can even back them up when needed.:) Now I am talking about off set disks, not tandem disks, disks are not worn out, but have been rebuilt with all new heavy 22" notched pans, new axles and bearings. When I disk, I am usually turning the dirt 8"to 9" deep. If I pay attention, ridging is minimal. I think that in OUR situation the only advantage of having wheeled transport disks would be ease of parking, and that isn't worth the cost in my book. Usually pull the 8 footer with my 7520 Mahindra 4x4 and the 12 footer with our old D6. It works for us.;)

Attachments

• P2090015.JPG
    P2090015.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 216
  • P1010012copy.jpg
    P1010012copy.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 152
  • p2190046.jpg
    p2190046.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 160
  • P2090029.JPG
    P2090029.JPG