"Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling?

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #151  
I have been farming for 30 years, always carry mine up. Can't believe I have been doing something so dangerous, at least according to some. Should I also get a tailwheel welded onto my disc mower, it is quite heavy plus there is more weight on the right lift arm than the left. What about my harrow, should I pull it down the road, it is 8' wide, sure the DOT would love the scalloped blades on hot asphalt. Then there are the round bales, I carry one on the loader and one on the 3ph, gotta quit that, could damage something. When I worked on a dairy farm we had a 12 row folding planter on the back of our 4640 and we had to hang about 1500lbs of weight on the front to balance it.

If I didn't think my tractor would handle it raised I wouldn't hook to it.

Glad you are "wising up" in your later years. :D

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #152  
If the pressure or "shock" to the 3 pt. is what someone is worried about. I would think that if you hit a bump with the wheel on the ground and the wheel left the ground and smashed back to the ground when you cleared the bump. That would be worse on the 3 pt.
That's what it's for. Lift it.

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #153  
I had forgotten about this thread. My new M8540 Operators Manual specifically states to do so and has a "lock" position for transporting rotary cutters and other 3-point equipment.

"Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!" --Homer Simpson
Interesting. ... Do you know if it is a mechanical lock? Do you lift and then set it down on the lock or can the lock be applied at any height?
Thanks,
larry

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #154  
Interesting. ... Do you know if it is a mechanical lock? Do you lift and then set it down on the lock or can the lock be applied at any height?
Thanks,
larry

We use a pull type cutter on this tractor so I never have bothered to check. We have a 3-point Woods 121, but since we have tractors at each farm, it may be a very long time before it ever sees a road. We have the 121 as a backup and haven't needed it yet.

/ "Pull" bush hog, or lift it when travelling? #155  
I always lift mine, if the hydro complains I up the RPM a bit.