Pull down a high widow maker.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #1  

JasperFrank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 1220
I've got lots of these now after the latest storm. Do I hire out, or do I toss a lead over the branch to see if i can pull it out? What is the best way to "rope" a high branch?

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #2  
I'd have to see it to judge.

That said, do you need to get it down? If she's out in the woods, it will eventually go down on its own. I've got a couple I'm waiting on, but luckily the big poplar by the trail went down on its own.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #3  
How far up and how big is it? What is it hung on?

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #4  
   / Pull down a high widow maker. #5  
I never screw with any branches up in my trees. If the wind don't blow them out, I call one of my arborist customers with a high ranger and have them remove it. Not called 'widow makers' for no reason. Besides, I'm scared of heights and it costs me nothing. I take that out in trade for sharpening chipper blades and saw chain loops. In fact I have a diesel powered Bandit chipper in the yard right now that needs some work. It's a big one. Mounted on a semi trailer.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #6  
I have nothing but ancient Ponderosa pines. They form a semi-circle around my house and out buildings. Far enough away - when a limb or tree might fall - nobody cares.

So......I certainly do not bother with hanging limbs or tilting trees. If/when it falls - if it will hurt nothing - leave it alone. Let Mother Nature take care of it.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #7  
I have nothing but ancient Ponderosa pines. They form a semi-circle around my house and out buildings. Far enough away - when a limb or tree might fall - nobody cares.

So......I certainly do not bother with hanging limbs or tilting trees. If/when it falls - if it will hurt nothing - leave it alone. Let Mother Nature take care of it.
After cleaning up about 200 large fallen pine trees (and still cleaning them up), I can sympathize with you.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #8  
Use a bow and arrow. Tie a small long rope to the arrow, get it over the branch, and then pull a larger rope as required to attach a larger rope.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #9  
I've got a few from the last storm.
One was 20 feet up. Stable when not windy, and dancing around in the wind.

I was careful to stay back when windy.

It is down now.

I can't throw a roping rope that high and catch anything.

For the ones at ground level. If I cut them off the ground and they don't come down, I'll come back with the tractor and a rope to pull them down.

/ Pull down a high widow maker. #10  
After cleaning up about 200 large fallen pine trees (and still cleaning them up), I can sympathize with you.
Better than cleaning down. :)
I'm on a mission to stop using the word "up" after words. Like heating "up".