Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary?

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary?
Robert, I think what you said makes alot of sense. The Kodiac cutter show above seems like it would do the job and hold up well. Thanks for your reply.

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #12  
For reference--This picture is showing a picture of a HD "Agri 120" 10 ft pull type with chains--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co.
bigbee10cutterfront.jpg

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #13  
I have a JD 5220 2 whl dr with liquid filled tires and FEL which I use to cut pastures (I have never had a reason to take it off) etc. The land is fairly flat but does have some small hills. I use a 3ph 10' rotary mower which works just fine. I was concerned about being able to back into some areas with a towed mower. I also was concerned about the weight (light) of my tractor but not it's power. So far, I have not regretted my decision and have been very pleased with the results. I have cut grass and weeds (Some Dog Fennel included) that there so high I could not see well in large sections of the fields with not much problem (just slowed down by dropping a gear or so) . I keep my PTO speed at the rated speed which I consider important with any PTO driven implement. The ground speed for most of the fields when I have missed cutting for a while (most grass about waist high and heavy) was about 4 – 8 Miles per hour. (except where wild hogs have screwed up the area, then you must slowly work your way around … these places can be a great surprise). Because this worked for me does not mean that it will work for you … I think the dealers’ recommendation is, for the most part, based on many factors that may be in your favor rather than his. I have dealt with some good dealers and I may be just lucky in that respect. Any way for what it may be worth ….
Leo

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #14  
Guess where I live, a corn stalk chopper can knock down all kinds of pasture brush & grass. They are built very heavy, & 12' (4 row wide) models are out of style, so used go for $400-600, and as heavy as they are built, would last a lifetime. I can pull my 12' with a 40 hp tractor in stalks, altho that is a workout, I should think his tractor would pull it in grass; and should he need any brush trimmed down, no problem. However, if not in an agricultural location, then you wouldn't be able to find such a thing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--->Paul

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #15  
I guess I don't know. I have never seen one used in anything but cornstalks. I don't think it would work in place of a flail mower since that gives a finished cut job. Might work in weeds but in brush I would wonder. I will talk with my neighbor and see if they ever use thiers in anything other then cornstalks. Have fun.

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #16  
Hi Paul--Most of these that I have seen in Ky are belt drive units--are there used gearbox models out there in the price range you mention?--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co.

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #17  
I am also interested in knowing if a used corn stalk chopper would do a decent job of pasture trimming - not looking for a finish cut but would like something more than 5' feet wide that could be run from MF 35 tractor - 38 HP.

Bob

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary?
Mr. Sweet, could you tell me how your unit is different from the Kodiac, specs, and what is the price.

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #19  
Kodiak 10' Cutter
-Lamanated tale wheels with bearings not bushings
-3 Gearboxes- 90 HP
-HD CV PTO and clutch
-7 ga. Deck thickness with reinforcements
-8" HD Channell Sidewalls
-5/8" thick stump jumper
-HD skid shoes
-self-leveling deck
-2-12" cutting height
-1850 LBS

/ Pull, semi, or 3pt 10ft rotary? #20  
Hi--Hope you got my private email in regard to pricing, features and shipping--Looks like ours has more features and specs out better than the Kodiac--Ken Sweet
Sweet Farm Equipment Co.