pull type grader

/ pull type grader #31  
sandman2234 said:
We would be happy to send you a few aluminum framed trailers but your going to have to pay for them, as we already have the air technology. Sorry...
David from jax

that makes 1-0 for you... :D

Last month there was something in a trucking magazine that said something about leaf springs and american trucks.. they must have been wrong then... ;)

Last edited:
   / pull type grader #32  
There are a lot of trailer still out there with springs, but just as many with air bags, so maybe that is what they were talking about?
David from jax

/ pull type grader #33  
Ok now we are in a thread about air ride suspension on roads trucks
But I gotta weigh in here.
The major reason we don't have air ride on ALL our new trailers is cost. It costs more to buy and it costs more to maintain. Every carrier has a different scenario but for many the ride benifits on cargo damage do not offset this added expense.
Thats the main reason I haven't put guage wheels on my blade, I don't need the hassle and expense of the extra parts, just takes me a litttle longer to get the drive smooth.

/ pull type grader #34  
I think we ought to see how dirtnut is doing on his project...
David from jax

/ pull type grader #35  
sandman2234 said:
There are a lot of trailer still out there with springs, but just as many with air bags, so maybe that is what they were talking about?
David from jax

You might be right, as i think i've read it in the magazine of the Dutch organisation of trailer and bodyworks builders.

Indeed 99.9% of the European trailers is air suspension. The advantages of smoother ride, constant ride height regardless the load, and because its all integrated in the ABS and EBS/ESP systems that come standard on most full size trailers.
For us it saves a couple of hours assembly time when installing air suspension with EBS/ESP and a brake force adjuster sensing the bellow pressure, instead of a leafs, and a spring loaded arm that senses the ride height to adjust the brake pressure to the actual axle load.
The system itself is a bit more expensive, but EBS/ESP has less connections to make and is installed in half the time than a normal ABS system.

I am in the small drivers license trailer business: We had only 1 request for leaf springs this year, which was for a field drainage company who pulled a trailer full of tiles behind the tracked drainlaying machine through knee deep mud...

Anyways, we're hi-jacking the thread, so lets get back to the road grader ;)