Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin

/ Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin #11  
Re: Pulling a \'Difficult\' Shear Pin

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In the Kubota forum I let everybody know my Kubota front mount snowblower had a factory installed Grade 5 5/16 x 2" bolt as a shear pin. As a result, when I hit 2 rocks on 2 occasions the 60H drive chain broke instead of the shear pin. )</font>

I did not see your post in the Kubota section but I am wondering why did your chain break before the shear pin? That shear pin looks bent some but usually I find them pretty well sheared off if they hit something. Is your bolt a hardened steel bolt or is it a soft metal that is designed to shear?

Murph

/ Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin #12  

Now that you have shown us how to remove the incorrect bolt that the manufacturer installed in place of a shear pin, I suggest that you take the picture and send it to Kubota for them to see along with the explanation of what has transpired. Who knows, they might just send you another shear pin for free. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Even better, they might just send you a replacement chain for your blower. I know that you replaced the broken link with a master link and that your chain now has 3 master links in it, but the stress that it suffered before it broke has taken its toll already. You might not think of it this way, however if the original chain that was never stressed might go 300 hours, your stress chain might only go another 100 hours.

/ Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin #13  

I agree with Junkman, however I would just take the bolt and broken chain to my dealer and he'd give me a new chain and bolt and work out the warranty issues with Kubota. Thats why I buy from a quality local dealer, now warranty issues...

Andy

/ Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin #14  

Wow.. kubota must be in the business to sell chain. Seems instead of selling a hard boltthat breaks the chain.. they should sell a soft bolt..?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Soundguy

/ Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin

The assumption I'm making is that the wrong bolt was factory installed in place of the proper shear pin. A Grade 5 bolt was there. I don't know whether it should be a special 'turned down' shear pin or a Grade 2 (which is what I replaced it with) or if it was meant to be a Grade 5 (I doubt this is the case because the drive chain broke twice and the shear bolt was shaken but not broken.)

What I was mostly trying to do with the original post was to give everybody a 'heads up' to check their shear bolts.

And thanks for the suggestion Junkman. I'll try my dealer first, and give him a chance to make it right.

/ Pulling a 'Difficult' Shear Pin #16  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( .................. I don't know whether it should be a special 'turned down' shear pin or a Grade 2 (which is what I replaced it with) or if it was meant to be a Grade 5 (I doubt this is the case because the drive chain broke twice and the shear bolt was shaken but not broken.)

What I was mostly trying to do with the original post was to give everybody a 'heads up' to check their shear bolts.

And thanks for the suggestion Junkman. I'll try my dealer first, and give him a chance to make it right.

)</font>

It took a lot of digging, but I finally came up with the part numbers for the Shear bolts for your L2174A 62" two stage Snowblower. The fan shear bolt is a Kubota Part # 70060-04440 (item #38) and the drive shaft shear bolt is Kubota Part # 70060-04441 (item # 67). Since you had problems with the shear bolt in the fan, I believe that the shear bolts that protect the auger are also incorrect. They should have broken before the fan shear bolt gave you the problems. I have locate these parts numbers in the parts book diagram and find that the auger is protected by a shear bolt at the end of the shaft by the side panel. The term "drive shaft shear bolt" is right out of the book that I located this information from. I believe that this terminology is misleading the way it is described. Hopefully this information will help to resolve the issue for you. You can purchase these parts on line from www.tractorsmart.com