Pulling a finish mower with a S470D

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #11  
Look for RM400 also, it has the gear box instead of the big pulley. I passed on one at an auction several years ago when it went for $485 and it looked like new. Have seen one since then on CL but don't remember the price.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D
Look for RM400 also, it has the gear box instead of the big pulley. I passed on one at an auction several years ago when it went for $485 and it looked like new. Have seen one since then on CL but don't remember the price.

Thanks. I saw a classified online the other day, I think from some tractor forum, for a RM48 and RM400 up in Winchester VA. The RM48 "looked rough,works fine" for $350 and the RM400 "nice" for $500. I was wondering about the RM 400 but hadn't looked it up yet. Anyway, the ad was from April, but I emailed the guy anyway. Both were sold. I'm not in any hurry, since I've got a good mowing setup and really it only makes sense at a good used price.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #13  
I have been pulling a Woods 3 pt. PTO driven RM500 60" finish mower with my S470D Satoh Buck for over a year now. Does a wonderful job. I keep the transfer in Low, 3rd gear, and the RPM's about 2700 to keep the shaft spinning at 540 RPM's. Never had any problems covering 1 1/2 acres in a couple of hours.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D
So I mowed for the third time with my new 54" Woods rear discharge. TractorRob was right. Much more pleasant mowing, with all the action/grass/dust behind you. Interesting that the Buck gets NO grass on it, and the finish mower gets only a little on the back, vs the Cub Cadet, which got grass all over it, and me. Also the ride is better due to the weight and tire diameter. The rear discharge spreads the clippings better than the Cub, and it never bogs down. Takes about two hours, so slightly faster than the Cub. When the grass is thick and high, the difference will be even greater. Right now, I do a lap around everything with the Cub, takes 15 minutes, then do the rest with the Buck. Mostly in 2WD, 5th gear, but some in 4th, and the steep part next to the driveway in 4WD. Nice having the differential lock available in one or two spots. So maybe not worth the price of a new finish mower, but much better overall. My lower back says it's worth it.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #15  
So I mowed for the third time with my new 54" Woods rear discharge. TractorRob was right. Much more pleasant mowing, with all the action/grass/dust behind you. Interesting that the Buck gets NO grass on it, and the finish mower gets only a little on the back, vs the Cub Cadet, which got grass all over it, and me. Also the ride is better due to the weight and tire diameter. The rear discharge spreads the clippings better than the Cub, and it never bogs down. Takes about two hours, so slightly faster than the Cub. When the grass is thick and high, the difference will be even greater. Right now, I do a lap around everything with the Cub, takes 15 minutes, then do the rest with the Buck. Mostly in 2WD, 5th gear, but some in 4th, and the steep part next to the driveway in 4WD. Nice having the differential lock available in one or two spots. So maybe not worth the price of a new finish mower, but much better overall. My lower back says it's worth it.

So, what would you recommend for cutting a 10-12 acre field.? Letting it get to about 2ft tall before cutting.? Will the 470 Buck do anything with that.?:cool:

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #16  
So, what would you recommend for cutting a 10-12 acre field.? Letting it get to about 2ft tall before cutting.? Will the 470 Buck do anything with that.?:cool:

I cut my neighbor's place when the grass was taller than the Buck with my RM48. Low range first gear, pto in 2nd position. Took a while and it needed a couple passes to get it to not look shaggy but it got the job done.

/ Pulling a finish mower with a S470D #17  
new to the forum but not the Buck. i pull a 60" finishing mower over 2 acres with no problems at all. i keep the radiator clean so i have no overheating issues. i also keep the blades sharp. to make it turn sharper i take it out of 4WD and use the left/right brake pedals for tight turns. not too thight as the ag tires can scuff up the turf a bit. turf tires are needed for mowing a steep slope with the brush hog so they stay on the tractor. there is no way a gas powered rider can keep up with me.

JG