Pulling implements with an ATV

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have a Polaris 550 4 wheeler. I see many people pulling light implements with similar ATVs. Specifically, I was thinking of pulling a drag harrow, say 6 or 7 feet wide and perhaps weighing 150 pounds. My question is does this harm or accelerate wear of the transmission? I also worry about the light tubular frame and potentially damaging it. Does anyone commonly do this and if so, does it break down the 4 wheeler. Any advice? What are your comfortable limits?

I’m not talking about the bigger side by sides you see now. They are bigger and more powerful.

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #2  
I pulled a 48 inch motorized Bush hog with my grizzly 660 cutting three acres of fields for 5 years without any issues. ATVs are tough.. I also beat the tar out of it plowing snow with tire chains on all four tires.

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #3  
I pull a homemade "drag" with my Polaris 500 ATP(all terrain pickup). Made of wood - roughly 4' x 6' - good for breaking clods, smoothing out shallow trenches, leveling out entire plowed area. Compared to several other things I do with my ATP - pulling this drag is easy stuff.Example - I pull my big 'ol farm wagon around the property(empty) and get it situated - lot easier and more maneuverable than with the tractor.View attachment 570802View attachment 570803

My Polaris ATP is 2002. So I've been doing this for 16 years now and have not had to replace even the drive belt. These units are a lot tougher than people give them credit for. By the time my drive belt wears out - I will need a new ATV.

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #4  
I have also pulled a 4 ft drag after seed was applied to food plots with my Honda Rancher 350. You can feel it back there but no problems. I have also pushed snow and used it hard since 2004 and never had to do any repairs. None. I may have just jinxed myself ��

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #5  
I use my atv's for small tractors all the time, plowing snow, pulling trailers, pulling other stuff. My go to atv is an old Arctic Cat 300 4x4 5spd manual auto clutch, 15 forward speeds and 3 reverse. Currently one of the newer Cat 500xt eps is hooked to a 5x10 trailer and loaded full of wood from tearing out old raised garden beds,,, I needed another tractor and the real tractors were being used so its a job the atv can do. Use common sense, low gear and you'll be fine. Atv's are pretty tough we are avid trail riders if they can withstand the punishment of off roading using them as a garden tractor isn't going to hurt anything.

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #6  
That's OK - Gov23. I just knocked on wood for the both of us. I got a really tough trail I ride at least four times a year. All the way around my property - checking fence line. There are two areas so steep, so deep - I can't even get to them riding the ATP. I walk over - say a little prayer - look down and hope that short section of fence needs no repair.

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #7  
Make sure you use low gear if you have it. I would also recommend to drive around for a bit to warm the belt and sheaves prior to dragging.

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #8  
You folks don't really drag all that much......

Attachments

• Griz drags deep snow.jpg
    Griz drags deep snow.jpg
    934.5 KB · Views: 156
   / Pulling implements with an ATV #9  
Nice little groomer, our trails are 14ft wide so we use monster groomers..

/ Pulling implements with an ATV #10  
We get enough snow here, usually, that my ATP is of little use other than on my driveway. Its just not heavy enough to break thru and get traction. That's OK - if for some very unusual reason I have to to out on the property - in the winter - I always have the tractor.