Pulling out a stuck car

/ Pulling out a stuck car #11  
My car has a small cover in the front (maybe the rear) bumper. Apparently, you take the cover off and thread in the eye hook that was included with the car and pull from there. Never had to do it, hope I never do. Every car has a attachment point, they all traveled by car hauler and were all strapped down somehow. Can't see them using the wheels for that.

/ Pulling out a stuck car #12  
I had to help recover a Honda Accord that had high centered itself on a snow drift this weekend on my private road. Couldn't find any tow points on the front, the only thing I found was a tow point on the back end.

I couldn't get the tractor around the car so we dug out as much snow as possible from the underside, routed the strap from the front to the back and ever so gently I pulled it forward with the tractor. It only took a nudge but I wasn't sure if the attachment point was meant to be pulled in that direction but it did the job.

I have a new appreciation for German cars, strong tow points front and rear, no digging required.

Jason

/ Pulling out a stuck car #13  
Maybe a lesson to take from this is to look at your vehicle now and record the best front and rear tow spot. Write it down and stick it in the glove box.

/ Pulling out a stuck car #14  
I had to help recover a Honda Accord that had high centered itself on a snow drift this weekend on my private road. Couldn't find any tow points on the front, the only thing I found was a tow point on the back end.

I couldn't get the tractor around the car so we dug out as much snow as possible from the underside, routed the strap from the front to the back and ever so gently I pulled it forward with the tractor. It only took a nudge but I wasn't sure if the attachment point was meant to be pulled in that direction but it did the job.

I have a new appreciation for German cars, strong tow points front and rear, no digging required.

Jason

What I was thinking.

/ Pulling out a stuck car #15  
Haha, a lot of the newer cars they are running tire straps over the tires and ratcheting them down on the car hauler. Some still have reinforced holes in the frame, most of which you have to stick a finger in to figure out if they are (very bad idea safety wise.) they also need to be pulled evenly on a lot of them to prevent damaging the frame if there is very much resistance.

/ Pulling out a stuck car #16  
I got one that is funny. Back about 1990, I had a 89 Geo Metro. I was driving very slow, because the road was very icy. I lost traction, and very slowly slid nose down into a ditch. A tow truck was called, showed up, put the hook on, started the winch. The tow truck slid into the ditch!!! So now the tow truck called another tow company. This guy showed up and refused to tow the tow truck unless he got the tow - !!! The 1st guy was madder than ****, called the guy every name in the book. The 2nd guy was laughing his azz off!!! But he towed me out 1st, then towed out the 1st guy. I was laughing the whole time!!!

/ Pulling out a stuck car #17  
Guess I am used to European cars where a tow hook is required. My cars have a hook in a container in the trunk lid that screws into an attaching hole. Requirement is it be strong e ought to support the full weight of the car. I thought I saw those on Japanese cars too but maybe not on American made Japanese cars - cost savings. At least my Ford pickup has as dive hooks but they have only been used to tow people out, not to be towed - yet.

These are not used for recovery! If you're talking about the one that scews into (generally the bumper area) its not for pulling your car out of the ditch, dont use it! It may be strong enough to support the car if you're pulling directly straight on, but thats it, any directional pull other than straight on can and will rip that right out.

I have used these on porsche/ bmw and the like and still even cringe pulling the car up onto the flatbed (what its intended for).

/ Pulling out a stuck car #18  
Do to libilty and the crazy nature sue happy folks... I make them wait until the snow/ice melts. I won't open the garage doors or start a tractor when someone gets stuck unless its family... and most of my family has their own tractors.

mark

/ Pulling out a stuck car #19  
Do to libilty and the crazy nature sue happy folks... I make them wait until the snow/ice melts. I won't open the garage doors or start a tractor when someone gets stuck unless its family... and most of my family has their own tractors.

mark
Just for this reason, I won't pull anyone out either. The most I've done is spread the ashes from my coal furnace on the highway, so they can get traction.

/ Pulling out a stuck car #20  
When you pull using the wheel, does the wheel just slide? I assume the wheel is locked up so it doesn't turn?