Pulling out trees?

/ Pulling out trees? #11  
I can't tell if some of these answers are serious or tongue-in-cheek. I'm not sure I could recommend climbing 16' into a tree using a ladder to place a cable on a 60' tree so that I could pull it over. I can think of a lot that can go wrong with that technique.

/ Pulling out trees? #12  
I can't tell if some of these answers are serious or tongue-in-cheek. I'm not sure I could recommend climbing 16' into a tree using a ladder to place a cable on a 60' tree so that I could pull it over. I can think of a lot that can go wrong with that technique.

A year or two ago a guy near me had been using a cable or chain or both to pull trees. He was late coming in so someone went looking for him. The chain or whatever it was broke, whipped forward and hit him in the head. Lets just say he never made it home.

/ Pulling out trees?

lol, yep.

These are small trees (definitely not 60' high). Maybe a deep ripper on the back of a cat would be best.

So I guess now, what's the best way to get all the collateral damage out of the dirt (like loose roots, wood chunks, etc)?

The trees themselves will be easy to round up.

/ Pulling out trees? #14  
lol, yep.

These are small trees (definitely not 60' high). Maybe a deep ripper on the back of a cat would be best.

So I guess now, what's the best way to get all the collateral damage out of the dirt (like loose roots, wood chunks, etc)?

The trees themselves will be easy to round up.

For the cleanest neatest job a excavator with a thumb would be the way to go, bull dozers and track loader's just make a royal mess.

The excavator can pull em up like a carrot, if the ground is dry the roots will come out clean meaning not a lot of dirt stuck to them.

good luck--J

/ Pulling out trees? #15  
Here's an interesting technique I found on another thread.
"I used to pull smaller alder trees, not over but straight up.

This same technique can be used with a spare tire (mounted on a rim, of course) instead of a round from a tree.

/ Pulling out trees? #16  
I just use an old junkyard rim without the tire.

Works well.

/ Pulling out trees? #17  
Excavator gets my vote!
IMAG0337.jpg

/ Pulling out trees? #18  
   / Pulling out trees? #20  
Climbing a ladder 10' to put a cable at 16' really isn't a big deal, is it? Yes, there's definitely a danger of cable whip when pulling anything with a cable. In my case, I feel a bit safer having a cage on the 3 point hitch winch. Like the lever of Archimedes: "Give me a place to stand and I can move the world"