Pulling over trees...

/ Pulling over trees... #11  
Okay just a little Safety police on you. :) You are lucky about not getting whacked that first time..Second time might not be so lucky. Blankets or folded tarps over cables or chains can dampen flying cables. Spend some money or borrow a large pulley so that you can redirect your tractor from the line of fire if at all possible. Nice work though.

/ Pulling over trees...
Thanks for all the compliments on the barn. My wife designed it. Actually we literally drew it on a napkin. I'd never built anything before so I'm happy how it turned out. We knew we wanted a raised center aisle and then the dimensions were chosen so that it would minimize cutting lumber. Before I set the ridge beam my wife just stood back and eyeballed a pleasing roof line while I held up a rafter. The rest just fell together from there. It was supposed to be board and batten but I never got around to the batten and I think it looks better anyhow.

Thanks for the tips. I'll use the blanket from now on. I've got a snatch block and will have to get enough cable to use it. Chains or cable all around would probably be better but I was just using what I had on hand. Pic below of the "rigging" - nothing fancy and probably not the right choice - again what I had on hand. I overestimated the height of the trees so used more line than needed but that is probably a good thing.

As for as removing the trees, I hated cutting them down originally but left too many standing when I built the barn and a couple of these were leaning into it. I have been able to put the wood to good use though. Embedded with the tree pictures below are some pics of the battlefield fencing, "dog" cabin, and latest project with these particular trees - raised garden bed - that I've used the timber for.

/ Pulling over trees... #13  
Wow, very good idea the twisting of the root ball!

Great looking place too!

Never tried pulling a big tree over before, ya think my M135 would be up for it :laughing:

Thanks for the pics and thread, I will have to try that some time.

Dan

/ Pulling over trees... #14  
Okay just a little Safety police on you. :) You are lucky about not getting whacked that first time..Second time might not be so lucky. Blankets or folded tarps over cables or chains can dampen flying cables. Spend some money or borrow a large pulley so that you can redirect your tractor from the line of fire if at all possible. Nice work though.

As I was taught;
Use a turning block to pull from the base of a different tree, right angle preferred.
If there is no "other tree" improvise; old truck, even a SERIOUS boat anchor that will SET when pulled on.
Any "stretchy bits" should be at the tree end of whatever chain, cable, ropes, slings arrangement you put together.
The rationale is that stored energy sends it THAT WAY if/when something breaks.
Similarly, if you half expect something to break don't use it.
Given that the above will be ignored, put the weakest part closest to you so that almost everything gets catapulted AWAY from you.

A rope alongside a chain and tie wrapped to it every couple of feet, with some slack in every rope segment, can make the difference between a flying chain and one that just stops.
I know, I know, tie wraps are just weak plastic that tears.
Point is every one of them slows flying chain just a bit more.
Better yet thread it through a link every couple of feet, though threading can be arduous.
Just don't continue pulling with only the rope once the chain breaks.

BTW, you should never have enough force available to BREAK whatever chains and cables you use - and/or you should never let your chains and cables deteriorate to where your available force can break them (-:

Yes, leave as much trunk on as you can shove around in an arc to break out the roots that are merely bent.

/ Pulling over trees...
I think earlier I had posted that I cut an "X" in the top of the stump with a chainsaw and then use splitting wedges to split the stump in quarters so it burns complete on the burn put. After I get it split most of the way I can sometimes slip the rest with the bucket.

I thought I would show a couple of pictures on how you can straighten a bent bucket by putting it in the stump. To bend the bucket, repeat the process in the other direction! :D

/ Pulling over trees... #16  
Quite a project..........

I'm going to have a number of trees, mostly standing dead wood, and stumps to remove this summer.

I don't have as big a tractor, only a little over a ton with filled rears. But......

As much as a couple years ago there was a series of posts by a guy who built a lever that "popped" trees strait up out of the ground. Up to about 8" diameter as I remember.

It was a vertical arm about 7 to 8' long that went down to a cross foot about 30" wide for stability. Then about an 12" arm at 90deg to the lever that attached to the tree.

Kind of like using a giant crow bar pulling a nail.

I wonder if something like this would be worth fabricating .......... ?

Anyone want to try and give a report......... :thumbsup:

/ Pulling over trees... #17  
I would only use chain not cable. I don't think a broken chain will whip as much as broken cable.

You have never seen a chain under tension break! Few people have because the chain moves faster than your eye can follow...

/ Pulling over trees... #18  
You have never seen a chain under tension break! Few people have because the chain moves faster than your eye can follow...

Yes, indeed.

/ Pulling over trees... #19  
Wyobuckaroo, I want to hear more about that tree popper. Do you know where the link is?
Thanks

/ Pulling over trees... #20  
Nice work on pulling those trees over. I sometimes cut trees about 5 feet above the ground and then use a tractor loader/bucket to push them over. The higher up you can get with bucket, the better. Works very well. You can usually get it most of the way over and then get your bucket underneath the roots on one side and lift with the loader and/or pry up with the bucket and bring the whole root system right out of the ground. Nice place you got there!