Pulling Posts

/ Pulling Posts #11  
What I refer to t-posts is the metal post for wire mesh fencing. The t part actually looks like a triangle up around 4-5 inches from the bottom of the post. The wire mesh hooks onto the post because the post has many J type metal hooks on the side. Rough diagram attached.

Rich S.
18-42090-rps_sig1.gif

Attachments

• 2-66507-t-post.jpg
    2-66507-t-post.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 77
   / Pulling Posts #12  
Hey, thanks guys. Now that you describe them and I've seen the picture, I realize I've seen them, just never had the opportunity to be around them. Now, at least, I won't feel lacking next time someone mentions them. You know what they say, "the only stupid question....."

Keep the greasy side down
Mike

/ Pulling Posts #13  
Has anyone heard of the old rim and chain method? You take an old 3/4 ton truck rim and a chain, wrap the chain around the bottom of the stake or post, run the chain up and over the center of the rim, hook it up to your tractor or 4wd truck, pull and presto an uprooted post.

Semper Fidelis

/ Pulling Posts #14  
Jim
We would use an oak 4X4 with a notch cut in one end. Rap chain around post near ground. Lean 4X4 with notch against post, Run chain though notch and hook chain to draw bar on tractor. Pull slowly. Never failed to work on steel or wood post./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif It does not bend or break post./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif Don't need a 3PH or FEL./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Pulling Posts #15  
I'll have to try that this weekend, I have some t post fencing to tear down.

1951 John Deere B (poppin johnny)

Semper Fidelis

/ Pulling Posts #16  
We used the rim and chain method on wood posts and the T-post jack on T-posts. I'll have to try the
notched wood method sometime.

Thanks,
Michael

/ Pulling Posts #17  
I guess your posts are in a lot tighter than mine. I have a "T" post puller that looks like a mechanical jack. A triangle opening fits over the post and grips the fence lugs on the post. A bar with a plate on the bottom sits on the ground next to the post and acts as the fulcrum point. The handle is then pushed down by hand and acts as a lever across the fulcrum and the posts lifts out without damage. I've never had a post that I couldn't pull this way, but this is south Texas soil and the posts are probably only 12-18 inches in the ground.

DaveH