Pulling up fence posts?

/ Pulling up fence posts? #11  
If your a one person operation, take your chain saw to them and cut close to ground level. Then if you have a brush hog, run over them a few times.

No holes to fill. :)

And yes, I did this on my fence line. I burned the remaining pieces, and scarfed the wire and barbs from the pile. :) :)

He wants to reuse the posts. Ken Sweet

/ Pulling up fence posts? #12  
Some ideas:

outpost_single_2.jpg

outpost_single_1.jpg

IMG_2017.jpg

dsc04269ni5.jpg

If you have two people, have one wrap a chain around the post twice (only twice, any more seems to not allow the chain to tighten on the post very well) & have the other operate your 3PH to lift the posts out. The chain person just keeps the chain taut so the 3PH's lifting tightens the chain on the post & itself.

/ Pulling up fence posts?
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I'll post an up date:)

/ Pulling up fence posts? #14  
i have a piece of 1" thick 8x10 plate that i cut a 5"x5" "c" into it. i welded a heavy chain to one end. if you lay the plate flat on the ground with the post in the cut out when you lift the chain with your FEL or use your 3pt the plate will lift on the one size and "pinch" the post and it should lift out.
I find this much quicker than a chain and doesn't slip as much.
good luck.

/ Pulling up fence posts? #16  
If these rough, unfinished posts are truly 4-6' in the ground, I'll wager that a loader on a B-series Kubota won't pull them out. At least this time of year.

/ Pulling up fence posts? #17  
If these rough, unfinished posts are truly 4-6' in the ground, I'll wager that a loader on a B-series Kubota won't pull them out. At least this time of year.

If they are 6 ft in the ground, I want to see the Post Hole Digger that dug those holes. Ken Sweet

/ Pulling up fence posts? #18  
I agree with RickB, if they are that deep in the ground, it will take a 30+ hp tractor to pull them out. My little Kioti CK 20 would not pull out 4"x4"x8' that were set in concrete at about 2.5' - 3' deep. That was using the 3 point hitch with draw bar and chain.

Eddie

/ Pulling up fence posts? #19  
I recon one of the TPH arms and a chain - as close to the tractor as possible rather than at the ball end - has more power than my FEL.

J

/ Pulling up fence posts? #20  
Been there and done that. All you need is about ten or fifteen feet of stout tow chain with hooks on both ends.

1. Back the tractor up to the post so the post is between the lift arms.

2. Wrap the chain around the base of the post several times.

3. Bring the ends of the chain up and over the lift arms and link the chain back to itself. Try to keep the everything as close to the PTO as possible to get the best leverage.

4. IMPORTANT: Inch forward until the chain becomes tight and all the slack is drawn out. If you wrapped the chain tightly you should only have to move forward a few inches.

5. Turn up the throttle and lift the three point as slowly as possible. You'll feel the post inching up out of the ground. Once you break the bond between the concrete and the ground the post gets easier to lift.

6. When the three point is at it's vertical maximum you'll only have lifted the post two or three inches. Lower the three point, loosen the chain and slide it back down the post and repeat the process. Eventually the post will be loose enough to take the chain off the lift arms and hook it to the bucket to lift up the post. SAFETY NOTE: Only use the bucket to lift a "free" post. You can easily tip the tractor attempting to pull a "stuck" post with the bucket. The leverage just isn't there to do the job.

7. Make sure your helper is well out of the way when you gently lower the post after removing it from the hole.

8. Stand over the empty hole with your helper and contemplate how deep it is. ;)

NOTE: I've found it's fastest to have two chains and two helpers. Each helper is responsible for wrapping the next post and hooking the chains over the lift arms. I've used this technique for wood posts in concrete, wood posts set in the dirt, and old stuck tee-posts.