Pump recommendation from river

/ Pump recommendation from river #1  

bcarwell

Gold Member
Tractor
Kabota 7500DT
I need to pump from a river up an embankment to water my cows. I'm guessing its maybe 150-200 feet vertical and maybe a 45 degree angle. I don't need a big flow- maybe 150-200 gallons over night to fill a water stock tank. The river is only about 3 feet deep. I'm thinking a deep well pump is what I need to overcome the lift/head as most readily available reasonably priced sprinkler head pumps seem to be good for only 100 feet or so. But with a shallow river it seems I need some sort of well pump that will work horizontally. Does anybody have any suggestions- pump, size, manufacturer, etc ?

/ Pump recommendation from river #2  
I was thinking deepwell pump also.

Can you anchor some kind of sump(barrel) down into the riverbed to get more depth and filter out debris and sand/dirt.

With the small volume the pump needed should be small and easily covered by the water and stay cool.

Float switch in the tank and good to go.

Goodluck

/ Pump recommendation from river
Thanks for the reply. Actually I was hoping there was some way to use a horizontal pump. The river bed is mostly limestone rock. But a friend did say I could sandbag a circle, use a sump pump to evacuate water, and then jackhammer down 3 or 4 feet and install the pump down in it with a well point filter. But obviously a horizontal pump would be easier. I just don't know if they make them. Anybody know of horizontal well pumps ?

/ Pump recommendation from river #4  
If you start it initially with little to no discharge pipe to get the air out of the pump a submersible pump will work. The problem will be the life will be shortened since the bearings are designed for vertical loading.

/ Pump recommendation from river #5  
i am out of my area, on sizing pumps for the vertical distance you need to lift water up to.

goto any run of the mill local pool place. and they should have pumps in stock and be able to state size of pump you need.

but i am going to assume, a pool pump or maybe a jet pump for a spa would work for you.

also perhaps a gas engine water pump might work as well.

well pumps also

many many different options you can choose from. the one thing you need to remember though, you need to get yourself a large enough pump. so it does not constantly run all day long. and if you do not go with a gas engine water pump, but a regular water pump (pool, spa, well pump) i would advise installing a "bladder tank" including a pressure on/off switch and of course a "auto fill valve" inside the water tank for cattle. this will give you pretty much hands free operation of constantly keeping the water tank for cattle full of water.

just remember though cattle are very abusive to tanks, they will rub on it, stand on it. try and tip it over. and do same thing to the auto fill valve within it. and in that, you may want to drive some posts or like around the tank and chain it down. and then put a metal guard over the auto fill tank.

============
if you will there a couple times a day to physical check on them. then it might be a different story were a gas engine water pump. or flipping a switch to turn on a pump. and not needing to chain down a water tank for cattle is not needed.

============
as far as making sure end of suction hose does not get plugged up. pretty much same for all pumps. exception submersible pump. if you go with a submersible pump. then highly advise a "trash pump" that can handle say 2" solids. so the pump does not get plugged up. but even then i would caution you away from a submersible pump.

rivers more so when there is a heavy rain. can get tons of sticks, rocks, and other things going down them. and because of this. i would highly advise, digging a small trench from the river into bank. and then digging down. for say a 55 gallon drum to be installed. were you can place a foot valve or screen mesh with a check valve in.

============
there has been i want to say 3 other folks, i want to say in last month, like what you are wanting to do, in last couple weeks here on TBN. i think all the threads were in the "projects" forum. it might be worth searching for, to get other ideas and info.

/ Pump recommendation from river #6  
almost forgot. if this is a remote location with no power. you can get a windmill water pump. and when there is wind it will pump water.

i want to say "geyser water pump" it is an air lift water pump. that could also work. i do not remember the companies website right off. but should be an easy google search to find. if you go this route. a regular windmill that pumps air could work. or a piston drive air pump ((diaphragm air pumps is a very bad costly long term deal for these)) a regular air compressor, i would most likely stay away from. air compressors are normally not ment to run non stop, and if you allow the air compressors to over heat. you can quickly ruin them.

/ Pump recommendation from river #7  
Pumps And Tanks Forums! Look this site over. If this is a temporary hook up, you could always run 2 cheaper 100' head pumps in series. You can find multiple stage pumps designed in one. Really depends on usage, and costs that you would like to keep in. This site has pump salesmen involved that probably all ready has hooked several scenarios.

/ Pump recommendation from river #8  
Most manufactures pumps can be run sideways but you have to add a cooling shroud on the grundfos pumps to keep the flow over the motor to keep it cool.
I am considering putting one in my cistern to prevent the pump from freezing in the winter.

The thrust on the bearings is most likely end to end from the thrust of pushing the water out the outlet the reaction would be in the other direction

tom

/ Pump recommendation from river #9  
Back in the late 70's, and early 80's Dad irrigated his large garden from a creek approx. 500' away. A 3/4 h.p. jet pump sat on the creek bank, which pumped water to a 1/2 hp pump in my old shop, which acted as a booster to feed 6 large golf course style sprinklers.

Being it was pushing the water, and not drafting sure made a difference, and not like building pressure in a tank. And this was at an approx. 80' vertical rise. Problem for you is running power that far. He picked up enough used wire, and the pumps at auctions for this purpose, so cost was minimal...

If this is a long term situation, you may try doing a search for a "water ram". Rather pricey, but require no electricity. Once the lines are full, it will pump I believe 10% of water used to run the ram.

A stream of water the size of a lead pencil, will produce close to 500 gallons in 24 hours, according to an old fellow I used to work with.

/ Pump recommendation from river #10