Pump running backwards?

/ Pump running backwards?
Thanks for the suggestions.

J.J., is there an easy way to ensure the pump is primed?

The inlet hose comes out of the tank and almost immediately goes over the rear axle. If the pump is worn, I assume it is possible that there isn't enough suction to pull the fluid over the axle.

I'll try to see if it pumps from the 5 gallon bucket. May take me a couple of days to get back with the results.

/ Pump running backwards? #12  
You can try putting some air to the tank, about 10 to 15 lbs.

Try filling the suction hose with fluid to see if you get an output.

The pump works! At least I got a steady flow into the bucket. I did have the manifold reversed, so that is good to know too. It is correct now. I put some fluid in the section hose and started the jeep. Got some bubbles, so stopped the engine and filled the hose as best I could.

Next steps are hook the hoses back up to the tank and control valve. For now, I'm going to reroute the hoses so they don't pass over the frame (I had said axle above but the reservior outlet is about the same level as the rear axle).

Now on to the next phase, testing the control valve.

Thanks for all the suggestions/ideas. Hope to report more progress soon.
jeeppump1.jpgjeeppump2.jpg

Quick update. Hooked the hoses to the tank and control valve. Added more fluid to the tank and the lift arms move up and down! However, when I leaned on the arms, they stopped moving. I have some sort of leak on top of the tank. There is a return(?) hose that goes from the bottom of the ram to the top of the tank. Since the tank mounts under the body, I can't really see what is going on. So I may have to drop the hitch. Not a fun task.

A couple of questions -
1. Could the lack of lift be due to a leak somewhere or is it more likely lack of pump pressure?
2. I am using standard hydraulic fluid. The 1947 instructions for the lift calls for "5 quarts of S.A.E. No. 10 motor oil." Should I replace the hydraulic fluid?
3. I ordered a pressure gauge and will plumb it in when I drop the hitch. I'm assuming I need to get rid of all leaks before I try to take a reading. Is that correct?

Thanks for all the advice and help. I've been ignoring other, more important projects, so I may have to behave myself for a few days. It sure was fun seeing that lift go up!