pumping water

/ pumping water #1  

ch47dpilot

Gold Member
Tractor
07 Kubota L3400
I have a Cushman Truckster with a PTO(T6) that runs around 1000RPM at max engine RPM. I have a 60 gallon water tank that I'm planning on putting in the bed so my wife can drive around our 28acres and water all her flowers. We have a small pond and I'd like to figure out some way to pump the water into the tank using the PTO. The pond is to far from electricity. I'm just going to gravity feed the water from the tank to hose so the pump could be on a pad or something permanently near water. Not sure of the best kind of pump to get that would run around 1000RPM or that could be modified and run off a belt system to increase/decrease the rpm. Any ideas will be appreciated. The Cushman is 22HP at 2500rpm(1000 pto rpm) so I don't think power or torque will be an issue.

/ pumping water #2  
I use the 2 cycle pump from harbor freight with good success.It sells for about $150 hard to beat for the money.It's a 1" i got 2 sections of hose for it also,pump water out of our farm pond into one of those 250 gal plastic totes in the back of my rtv [only haul about 150 gal at a time] takes about 8 mins to pump a 150 gal. garden loves this idea. good luck with your watering

/ pumping water #3  
I agree with redharley you will probably not find any PTO powered pump system for the super low price of the harbor freight pump. I notice HF also has a 12V marine utility pump for $40 that might also be an option. If I were doing this I would spend the extra $$ saved on the pump to buy a few extra valves and pipe and plumb the pump so that it would discharge to the tank when filling and take suction from the tank when watering. With pump pressure you could spray just like a normal garden hose.

/ pumping water #5  
Last summer at work we got our big garden in after the earl rains and had to irrigate. Usually we use my brothers F700 with a 2000 Gallon tank and 3 inch pto fire truck pump and fan heads to wet the garden. He was busy with it and I played around with using the 4000 Ford to water the garden. I had seen the pto sprayer pump blow lines and the hand wand apart when a worker closed the return valve off and let it deadhead.

We have a 1000 gallon tank on rolloff rails that the trucks can pick up. We filled it out of the spring fed lake at work with a gas powered pump.
At 350 to 400 pto rpm we ran 100 feet of hose with a hardware store sprinkler too good one blew apart. We teed it and ran 2 sprinklers on pvc Stands at near full capacity. I think te pump is a 150 at TSC.

/ pumping water #6  
...If I were doing this I would spend the extra $$ saved on the pump to buy a few extra valves and pipe and plumb the pump so that it would discharge to the tank when filling and take suction from the tank when watering. With pump pressure you could spray just like a normal garden hose.

I'm a big fan of this idea whether you use a little gas pump or rig something off your PTO. Set the pump up with a relief valve that dumps back to the tank when not spraying.