Pumpkin Harvest 2010

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010 #1  

F1520

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1520
While visiting my uncle in NY state last week we harvested pumpkins and then cleared the pumpkin patch. Here are some pics:

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0023.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010
Then we brushogged and tilled:

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0047_2.jpg

DSCF0049_2.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

DSCF0058.jpg

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010
And here are the punkins:

DSCF0057.jpg

DSCF0058_2.jpg

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010 #5  
A little early wasn't he? They don't seem to be matured?

Chris

They'll ripen nicely off the vine. I'll start harvesting mine next week as my plants are dying off from powdery mildew as well.

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010
A little early wasn't he? They don't seem to be matured?

About 1/3 of them were green or partially green, 2/3 were orange. The vines were not looking good. The leaves were wilted and covered with something that looked like powdery mildew. A few of the pumpkins were rotting away where they touched the ground. He said to pick what was left of them and let them ripen off the vine.

Too early? Maybe. Could be that he wanted to do this while he had help :laughing: rather than a few weeks from now when he'd have to do it alone. He said that they matured early because of the unusual heat this summer, and that the ones that were left weren't going to get any better if left on the vines.

Is this right? I don't have enough experience growing pumpkins to say. :)

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010 #7  
About 1/3 of them were green or partially green, 2/3 were orange. The vines were not looking good. The leaves were wilted and covered with something that looked like powdery mildew. A few of the pumpkins were rotting away where they touched the ground. He said to pick what was left of them and let them ripen off the vine.

Too early? Maybe. Could be that he wanted to do this while he had help :laughing: rather than a few weeks from now when he'd have to do it alone. He said that they matured early because of the unusual heat this summer, and that the ones that were left weren't going to get any better if left on the vines.

Is this right? I don't have enough experience growing pumpkins to say. :)

I think I'll bring in my pumpkins this evening. My vines are mostly dead with the powdery mildew too. I don't think the vines are contributing anything to the pumpkins at this point, so the logic sounds right to bring them in rather than let them rot in the sun.
Dave.

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010 #8  
Not pumpkins, but their cousins, the squash. This thread caused me to just go out and gather in all the big ones. We're due for rain, (finally, finally) 6 out of the next 7 days. That rain won't help, it's too late and could only potentially hurt.

Butter Cup. Personal favorite.:D

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010 #9  
Not pumpkins, but their cousins, the squash. This thread caused me to just go out and gather in all the big ones. We're due for rain, (finally, finally) 6 out of the next 7 days. That rain won't help, it's too late and could only potentially hurt.

Butter Cup. Personal favorite.:D

I have some Blue Hubbard, Acorn and a couple Butter Cup squash. All winter squashes. I don't know when it is best to harvest them. What I have read on the 'net is to leave them on the vine as long as possible, but don't leave them out in a hard frost. My squash vines are still fairly healthy. The Blue Hubbard stems are just starting to crack a bit and the shells are quite firm but still can be marked with a thumbnail.

Any suggestions? We have two more days of upper 90's and fairly humid weather coming. I am thinking of watering them good in the morning and try to nurse them through this heat.
Dave.

/ Pumpkin Harvest 2010 #10  
I have some Blue Hubbard, Acorn and a couple Butter Cup squash. All winter squashes. I don't know when it is best to harvest them. What I have read on the 'net is to leave them on the vine as long as possible, but don't leave them out in a hard frost. My squash vines are still fairly healthy. The Blue Hubbard stems are just starting to crack a bit and the shells are quite firm but still can be marked with a thumbnail.

Any suggestions? We have two more days of upper 90's and fairly humid weather coming. I am thinking of watering them good in the morning and try to nurse them through this heat.
Dave.

You are likely doing the right thing. My vines were worn out. If your vines are still viable, I'd do what you are doing. You have time before a frost threat. Mine were planted extremely early, at least a month ahead or "normal". They were just getting sunburned. Yes, it is best to wait, wait, wait, but for mine, the waiting is over.

Watch out for torrential rains that are coming. Rot is a bigger threat than being ever so slightly under done.