Pumpkin Thread 2013

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013 #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I thought I would start a pumpkin thread for everyone on TBN that grow pumpkins.

I planted these the third week of June, 14 rows 175 foot long, 6' between rows. Some are smaller than others because I had to re-seed a few due to crows pulling up several. I usually only have crow problems with corn:mad:

I have one row of Jack-B-Little that was planted 2nd week of July.

I have side dressed about half of the pumpkins but due to RAIN have not been able to get to the rest. I also bought an insecticide from my feed and seed guy for squash bugs and other insects that feed on the pumpkins but have not been able to spray due to the rain.

I know some guys on here grow some nice pumpkins. I hope mine produce good this year.

Attachments

• 100_1299.jpg
    100_1299.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1300.jpg
    100_1300.jpg
    539 KB · Views: 119
   / Pumpkin Thread 2013 #2  
Very clean looking, what are you using to keep the weeds down?

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013
I ran the rear tiller between the rows, used a hoe and sprayed some round-up between the plants. I made sure I did not get too close to the plants with the round up.

I can keep the weeds down pretty good until they start running every where...then all bets are off on weeds.

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013 #4  
Good job! :D

Wow that should yield you a lot of pumpkins...we used to do like 800 feet of big ones.

Don't worry about the weeds too much once they start to run...but insects and disease yes.

Especially if you keep getting lots rain

How is the pollination looking

On most of my pumpkins and winter squashes I always looked to use compact or semi vine types hybrids varieties to get more plants per acre when I could.

My sales experience is that people like to see nice stout handles on their pumpkins. There are a lot of great ones to pick from today. What other types are you growing?.

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013
DFB,

I ordered these from Harris Seed. I have 4 different types and the Jack Little. I will look for the names but 3 have the thick handles and one is just the Howden.

I am a little worried about all the rain but will keep a close watch on them. No blooms yet so will check pollination once we have a few. I did plant 30-40 marigolds around the field to help bring bees in but we'll see what happens.

I usually plant 1/2 ac of sunflowers to bloom about the time the pumpkins start blooming. But it was just to wet this year.

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013
Danno,

I try to time my harvest for mid October. That is when the kids want a pumpkin and people star putting in Fall displays.

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013 #8  
Danno,

I try to time my harvest for mid October. That is when the kids want a pumpkin and people star putting in Fall displays.

Ya, I know. Most people do. I plant mine early because they spill out onto the lawn so it gives the grass some time to recover before winter.

I also don't grow enough to sell, however there is still no shortage of takers!

/ Pumpkin Thread 2013
I recently bought a hiller and just hilled the rows, dropped the little layoff plow on the hiller down enough to make a little trench. I dropped 2-3 seed every three foot and just covered with a hoe.

Germination did not take long due to all the rain and I thinned to where I have 1-2 plants every 5-6 foot.

The patch is not big enough to justify a planter.