Pumpkins and sqash

/ Pumpkins and sqash #1  

fatjay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Not enough
I have a plot that I want to use for pumpkins and squash. Problem is it's full shade until about noon, then full sun until it sets. Can I get away with that? Or would I be better going with something else?

/ Pumpkins and sqash #2  
I have a plot that I want to use for pumpkins and squash. Problem is it's full shade until about noon, then full sun until it sets. Can I get away with that? Or would I be better going with something else?
I have grown good butternut squash in the shade of corn plants (afternoon shade).

/ Pumpkins and sqash
My idea was a small plot between the shop and retaining wall, between the two man doors. Since it's not going to be a particularly useful space. And I'll have to mow it if I put grass there, which doesn't appeal to me.

Right now I have pumpkin, summer squash, and eggplant getting ready for transplant, so I was thinking it would be a decent space for it. But the garage sides face east/west, so in the morning it would be full shade until high noon, then full sun the rest.

e6TTNpq.jpg

/ Pumpkins and sqash #4  
If those are your main walk in entrances, doesn't look like enough room considering how much vines grow/spread out. They need wide open spaces, unless you grow on some sort of trellis.

If you don't want to mow that space, I'd use some sort of weed/grass barrier and cover with some sort of stone.

Unless you use some sort of pre-emergent spray. or weed barrier you'll also have a ton of weeds growing there. Even using spray/barrier you'll still have a few weeds.

/ Pumpkins and sqash #5  
Or plant flowers. Squash vines will definitely trail over the retaining wall and beyond.

/ Pumpkins and sqash #6  
If you have deer or other wildlife on your property they will eat the budding flowers failed miserably when I tried growing about an acre of pumpkins cuz of deer.

/ Pumpkins and sqash #7  
IF the dirt there is rich and you give them a LOT of water and fertilizer a half day of sun will work. You might try bush varieties to cut down on the vine problem OR cut the ends of the off vines when they get to the limit of your space. You will still have to keep the weeds out and cultivate them all the time.
Anti weed mat covered with 3/4" to 1" washed rock would be less work.

/ Pumpkins and sqash #8  
Afternoon sun against a building like that may cook the plants. I like the weed barrier and stone idea.

/ Pumpkins and sqash #9  
Here in East Texas, I've planted trees and shrubs to create more shade over my vegetable garden beds. My goal is to cut down on as much afternoon sun as possible. The plants don't need a full day of full sun, and the longer they bake, the harder it is for them.

I don't know what it's like in your area, but I think that half a day of sun is more then enough for most plants to grow and do well. I just don't know how hot it gets there and if you're getting the wrong half of the day for your location.

I'd give it a try and see what happens. In my opinion, growing vegetables relies on a lot of trial and error.

/ Pumpkins and sqash
My goal was to grow something to feed the chickens to cut down on feed costs. Maybe corn?